Mitcham Junction station
|Local authority||London Borough of Merton|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Tramlink annual boardings and alightings|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1 October 1868||Opened|
|3 March 1929||Electrified to Epsom|
|31 May 1997||West Croydon to Wimbledon Line Closed|
|London transport portal|
The station opened on 1 October 1868. Despite its name, Mitcham Junction no longer has a junction: one of the two lines that crossed here (the West Croydon to Wimbledon Line) has become a grade-separated Tramlink route. The other line is used by services between Sutton and London Victoria, or London Blackfriars and beyond. This line still has sharp curves at either end of the station where the junctions were located and speed is limited to 30 miles per hour (48 km/h).
Mitcham Junction is not in the centre of Mitcham but is near the historic Cricket Green Conservation Area, across Mitcham Common. The nearest main line railway station to the commercial centre of Mitcham is Mitcham Eastfields located between Mitcham Junction and Streatham which opened on 2 June 2008.
As part of a programme of improvements being run by Southern, the office and yard which were once adjacent to the northern platform were levelled in early 2010.
The typical off-peak train service per hour is:
- 2tph (trains per hour) to St Albans via Herne Hill and London Blackfriars
- 2tph to London Victoria via Clapham Junction
- 2tph to Wimbledon via Sutton
- 2tph to Epsom via Hackbridge and Sutton
The typical off-peak tram service per hour is:
- "London and South East" (PDF). National Rail. September 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 March 2009.
- "Tram Stop Usage 2009-10 (FOI)" (XLS). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2009-2010. Transport for London. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Tramlink numbers 2010-2011" (PDF). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2010-2011. Transport for London. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 161. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- GB eNRT May 2016 Edition, Tables 52 & 180 (Network Rail)
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Sutton & Mole Valley Lines
|Preceding tram stop||Tramlink||Following tram stop|
Wimbledon to Beckenham Junction
towards Beckenham Junction
Wimbledon to Elmers End
towards Elmers End
|Mitcham||Connex South Central
West Croydon to Wimbledon Line
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mitcham Junction station.|