Municipality and town
Church of Moniquirá
Location of the municipality and town of Moniquirá in the Boyacá Department of Colombia.
|Founded||26 March 1825|
|Founded by||Gaspar Ramírez|
|• Mayor||Ansisar Parra Avila|
|• Municipality and town||220 km2 (80 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,669 m (5,476 ft)|
|• Municipality and town||21,402|
|• Density||97/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|• Metro density||99/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Colombia Standard Time)|
Moniquirá is a town and municipality in Boyacá Department, Colombia, part of the subregion of the Ricaurte Province. It is known for its "bocadillos" and "panelitas de leche" (both little sweet cakes). Moniquirá borders San José de Pare in the north, Togüí and Arcabuco in the east, Gachantivá and Santa Sofia in the south and in the west with the department of Santander.
Before the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores, Moniquirá was who were ruled by the cacique of Susa, part of the Muisca Confederation. Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada passed through Ubaza, part of Moniquirá on March 16th, 1537.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Moniquirá.|