Montgomery Street station
Montgomery Street station (often Montgomery station) is a combined BART and Muni Metro rapid transit station in the Market Street Subway. Located under Market Street between Montgomery Street and Sansome Street, it serves the Financial District neighborhood and surrounding areas. The three-level station has a large fare mezzanine level, with separate platform levels for Muni Metro and BART below.
Like the three other shared Muni/BART stations in the Market Street Subway, Montgomery has three underground levels. The first level is a fare mezzanine, with two Muni paid areas and two BART paid areas. The second level has a single island platform for Muni Metro, and the third level has an island platform for BART. The station has seven street entrances along its length, plus underground entrances to the One Sansome Street and 44 Montgomery buildings.
Following the 2015 addition of a canopy over an escalator at 19th Street Oakland station, which reduced escalator downtime by one-third, BART decided to add canopies to all downtown Oakland and San Francisco entrances. Construction will begin in 2019, with completion in 2025. Under the planned Better Market Street project, the inbound F stop would be discontinued to reduce travel times.
Muni's F Market and Wharves heritage streetcar line stops on the surface at Market and 2nd Street (outbound) and Market and New Montgomery (inbound). The station is also served by a number of Muni bus and trolleybus routes:
- Local: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 21, 30, 31, 38, 45
- Rapid: 5R, 9R, 38R
- Express: 7X, 8AX, 8BX, 81X
- Owl service: 91 Owl, K Owl, L Owl, M Owl, N Owl, T Owl
Additional Muni (14, 14R, 14X), Golden Gate Transit (30, 70, 101, 101X), and SamTrans (292, 397, 398, FCX) bus routes run on Mission Street, one block away. The Transbay Transit Center, located about 1⁄4 mile (0.40 km) to the east, is the primary San Francisco terminal for AC Transit transbay routes, WestCAT, Greyhound Lines, Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach buses, some Golden Gate Transit routes, and Muni route 25.
- "BART Chronology January 1947 – March 2009" (PDF). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. March 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 13, 2013.
- Callwell, Robert (September 1999). "Transit in San Francisco: A Selected Chronology, 1850-1995" (PDF). San Francisco Municipal Railway. p. 57.
- "Monthly Ridership Reports". Bay Area Rapid Transit District. Retrieved June 30, 2019.
- Weiler, A. H. (October 21, 1971). "Four Features Begin Their Runs Here: Poitier Is Virgil Tibbs in 'The Organization'". New York Times.
- "Station Map: Montgomery Station" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Commission. August 13, 2012.
- "Ribbon-cutting held for San Francisco BART Station Market St. Canopies" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. November 13, 2018.
- Better Market Street Project EIR (PDF). 1. San Francisco Planning Department. February 27, 2019. p. 2-53.
- "Transit Stops: Montgomery Station" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Commission. November 8, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montgomery Street station.|