Mumbai Nagpur Super Communication Expressway
|Mumbai Nagpur Super Communication Expressway|
|Length||701 km (436 mi)|
Mumbai Nagpur Super Communication Expressway also known as Maharashtra Samruddhi Mahamarg is an under construction, 701 km (436 mi) long, 6 lane expressway, connecting the two capitals of Maharashtra Nagpur and Mumbai. The expressway will run through 10 districts, 26 tehsils, and 390 villages in the state and is expected to cut travel time between the two cities to 8 hours. The project is expected to cost Rs 46,000 crores and requires the acquisition of 8,603 hectares of land.
Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation is the nodal agency responsible for executing the project which comprises building a completely greenfield expressway, designed for speeds up to 150 km/h on flat terrain and up to 100 km/h on the mountainous terrain of the Western Ghats section. The state government also plans to build 24 townships along the route which will include state-of-the art healthcare facilities, skill management centres, IT parks and educational institutions. A total of 20,820 hectares of land is to be acquired for the project across 10 districts, out of which 8,520 hectares will used for the highway, while 10,800 hectares would be for building townships. MSRDC will need a loan of Rs 28,000 crore loan from banks for funding the project.
To expedite the pre construction work on the highway, MSRDC decided to divide the project into five packages and hired a separate consultancy firm to prepare the Detailed Project Report for each package. The civil work was further divided into 16 packages to be tendered separately.
- May 2016 - Consultants appointed for making Detailed Project Report.
- January 2017 - Request for Qualification (RfQ) bids opened for civil works.
- July 2017 - Land acquisition process started.
- May 2018 - MSRDC opened financial bids submitted by qualified contractors.
- May 2018 - Maharashtra cabinet gave its official approval for Concession Agreement for the project.
- Jun 2018: Lowest bidders identified for thirteen packages, bidding for remaining packages to happen soon. 
- Nov 2018: 90% land acquisition done. Work to be done in 16 packages, contractors for which are already identified. Work to start in December.  
- Dec 2018: Prime Minister Narendra Modi performed ground breaking ceremony for the project on 18-December-2018. 
- Jan 2019: Land acquisition complete, funding secured, expressway to be ready by December 2020.. Road construction started.
- "Work on Nagpur-Mumbai expressway begins in full swing - Times of India". The Times of India.
- Rawal, Swapnil (10 March 2018). "Maha budget: Work on Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway to start in April". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 11 March 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Engineer, Rayomand (30 May 2018). "Nagpur-Mumbai Super Communication Expressway Coming Soon : 10 Awesome Facts". The Better India. Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Jog, Sanjay (30 May 2018). "Mumbai Nagpur Super Communication Expressway gets key approval". DNA. Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Chacko, Benita (20 February 2017). "Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Highway: Provisions being made to use highway as emergency airstrip for Air Force". Indian Express. Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Devendra Fadnavis' grand 710-KM Mumbai-Nagpur expressway is facing stiff opposition. Here's why". Financial Express. 31 May 2017. Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Jog, Sanjay (28 March 2018). "MSRDC lines up loan worth Rs 19,878 cr for Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway". DNA. Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Mehta, Manthan K (11 May 2016). "Consultants appointed for Project Report for Mumbai-Nagpur communication highway". Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Sheikh, Ateeq (3 January 2017). "Bidding opens for Mumbai-Nagpur expressway work". DNA. Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Ghadyalpatil, Abhiram (14 July 2017). "Land acquisition for Mumbai-Nagpur expressway starts". Mint. Archived from the original on 13 July 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "18 companies bid for Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway project". The Economic Times. 23 May 2018. Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.