NOAAS Albatross IV (R 342)
NOAAS Albatross IV (R 342) in September 1985.
|Bureau of Commercial Fisheries|
|Name:||BCF Albatross IV|
|Namesake:||USFC Albatross, a famed U.S. Fish Commission vessel in commission 1882–1898, 1898–1917, and 1919–1921; RV Albatross II, a U.S. Bureau of Fisheries vessel in commission 1926–1932, and RV Albatross III, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service vessel in commission 1948–1959|
|Builder:||Southern Shipbuilding Company, Slidell, Louisiana|
|Commissioned:||9 May 1963|
|Fate:||Transferred to national Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration 3 October 1970|
|Name:||NOAAS Albatross IV (R 342)|
|Namesake:||Previous name retained|
|Acquired:||Transferred from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Bureau of Commercial Fisheries 3 October 1970|
|Decommissioned:||20 November 2008|
|Fate:||Sold to Mexico|
|Type:||Fisheries research ship|
|Length:||187 ft (57 m)|
|Beam:||33 ft (10 m)|
|Draft:||16 ft (4.9 m)|
|Installed power:||1,130 brake horsepower (0.84 megawatt)|
|Propulsion:||Two Caterpillar diesel engines, 1 shaft, 150 tons fuel; 125-horsepower (0.09-megawatt) bow thruster|
|Speed:||12 knots (sustained)|
|Range:||4,300 nautical miles (8,000 km) at 12 knots (22 km/h)|
|Boats & landing |
|Complement:||21 (4 NOAA Corps officers, 1 civilian officer, 3 licensed engineers, and 13 other crew members), plus up to 14 scientists|
|Notes:||Ice-strengthened hull; 450 kilowatts electrical power|
NOAA Ship Albatross IV (R 342), originally BCF Albatross IV, was a fisheries research ship in commission in the United States Fish and Wildlife Service's Bureau of Commercial Fisheries from 1963 to 1970 and in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) from 1970 to 2008.
Construction and characteristics
The ice-strengthened hull of the ship was 187 feet (57 meters) long. The ship had a total of 38 bunk spaces. Between the crew and officers mess rooms, the ship could seat 21 for meals. She carried a complement of 21–4 NOAA Corps officers, 1 civilian officer, and 16 crew (including 3 licensed engineers—and in addition could accommodate up to 14 scientists.
Her deck equipment featured four winches, one boom crane, an A-frame, a J-frame, and a portable gantry. This equipment gave Albatross IV a lifting capacity of up to 10,000 pounds (4,530 kilograms) as well 20,000 feet (6,090 meters) of cable that can pull up to 16,000 pounds (7,250 kilograms). Each of the winches serves a specialized function ranging from trawling and dredging to hydrographic surveys.
In support of her primary mission of fishery and living marine resource research for the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) division of NOAA, the ship had shallow- and deep-water echo sounders, a fishfinder, and an Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP). Additional scientific equipment included a thermosalinograph and a fluorometer. She had 800 square feet (74 square meters) of laboratory space with specialty labs for plankton and oceanographic chemistry. A 16-foot (4.8 m) launch was available for utility or rescue operations.
US government service
BCF Albatross IV was commissioned into service in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Bureau of Commercial Fisheries on May 9, 1963. When NOAA was established on 3 October 1970 and took over the Bureau's assets, she became part of the NOAA fleet, redesignated NOAAS Albatross IV (R 342).
On May 12, 1986, shipyard workers were working in Albatross IV's marine sanitation device compartment when one of them accidentally set off the compartment's fixed carbon dioxide firefighting system. Although the other workers escaped, one man, Kelly Prince, passed out in the compartment. He would have suffocated, but three members of the ship's crew – NOAA Corps Lieutenant Dean Smehil, civilian third assistant engineer Daniel J. Parry, and the ship's executive officer – put on Scott air packs and crawled into the very tight compartment. In moments, Smehil and Parry dragged the unconscious Prince from the compartment to safety, saving his life. For their heroism, Smehil and Parry received the Department of Commerce Gold Medal in 1986.
Albatros IV was decommissioned on 20 November 2008.
After withdrawal from NOAAS service, Albatross IV was sold to Maritech Engineering and Marine Project Services, an international firm based in Athens, Greece, and later transferred to its US affiliate, Marpro LLC, retaining the same name.
In 2013 Albatross IV was sold to the Autonomous University of Tamaulipas, Mexico, renamed UAT-1 CIDIPORT, and based at the Caribbean port of Tampico. She is operated by the Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Ingenieria Portuaria, Maritima y Costera (CIDIPORT)(tr. Center for Research and Development of Coastal, Ocean and Port Engineering) The ship was commissioned in May 2014 by Egidio Torre Cantú, governor of Tamaulipas State.
- Per Combat Fleets of the World 1990/1991, the complement was 22 (7 NOAA Corps officers and 15 crew members) plus up to 15 scientists.
- "Former NOAA Ships have New Names and Missions". NOAA North East Fisheries Science Center. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "About us". Maritech Engineering and Marine Project Services. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Ingeniería Portuaria, Marítima y Costera". Gulfbase. Corpus Christi TX: Texas A & M University. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Tamaulipas tiene su primer buque oceanográfico UAT-1-CIDIPORT (Tamaulipas has its first oceanographic vessel UAT-1-CIDIPORT)". El Redactor (in Spanish). Soto la Marina, Tamaulipas, México. 4 May 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Prézelin, Bernard, and A. D. Baker III, eds. The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World 1990/1991: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Armament. Annapolis, Maryland: United States Naval Institute, 1990. ISBN 0-87021-250-8.
- NOAA History, A Science Odyssey: Hall of Honor: Commerce Medals Presented for Lifesaving and the Protection of Property 1955–2000