This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location of Narayanganj District in Bangladesh
|• Total||683.14 km2 (263.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,300/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+06:00 (BST)|
Narayanganj District (Bengali: নারায়ণগঞ্জ জেলা pronounced: Narayongônj Jela) is a district in central Bangladesh, part of the Dhaka Division. The anicient city of Sonargan is in Naryanganj . It is located on the banks of the Meghna and the Sheetolokkha River. The main centre of the district is Narayanganj City. It borders the capital city of Dhaka. Narayanganj is one of the oldest industrial districts of Bangladesh. It is also a centre of business and industry, especially the jute trade and processing plants, and the textile sector of the country. It is nicknamed the "Dundee of Bangladesh" due to the presence of many jute mills. Dundee was the first industrialised "Juteopolis" in the world. It is number one district for economy of Bangladesh.
Named after Bicon Lal Pandey, a Hindu religious leader who was also known as Benur Thakur or Lakhsmi Narayan Thakur.[clarification needed] Pandey acquired ownership of the region from the British East India Company in 1766 after the Battle of Plassey. He declared the marketplaces on the banks of the Shitalakshya river as endowed property to pay for expenses for the worship of the God Narayan. Subsequently, the region was named Narayanganj.[failed verification]
- Important developments
- The post office was established in 1866.
- The Narayanganj municipality was officially founded on 8 September 1876.
- Dhaka–Narayanganj telegraph service was set up in 1877.
- Telephony was introduced by the Bank of Bengal in 1882.
Narayanganj became a district (Bengali: জেলা pronounced: Jela) on 15 February 1984. Formerly, it was a subdistrict (Bengali: উপজেলা pronounced: upojela) of the Dhaka district. It grew in importance in the seventeenth and eighteenth century, due to the influx of the Portuguese and the English. The first to develop was the west bank of Shitalakshya. Narayanganj only became important in the nineteenth century, when the Rally Brothers started a company exporting jute to the west in 1830, aided by a company from Assam. By 1908, 18 European companies, and two Indian companies were trading in jute from Calcutta.
From 1947, with the formation of Pakistan, the economy transformed from being mainly a jute production to include jute milling. This followed the establishment of a number of mills in and around Narayanganj that gave the local economy a great boost.
Narayanganj Zila consists of 5 upazilas (Narayanganj Sadar, Bandor, Rupganj, Sonargaon and Araihazar), subdivided into 47 unions and 827 mauzas. The areas and populations (at the 2011 Census) of the upazilas are:
- Araihazar Upazila 181.07 km2 376,550
- Sonargaon Upazila 171.67 km2 400,358
- Bandar Upazila 54.39 km2 312,841
- Narayanganj Sadar Upazila 100.74 km2 1,323,600
- Rupganj Upazila 176.48 km2 534,868
- Total Narayanganj Zila 684.37 km2 2,948,217
There are also 7 police stations here, which are: Narayanganj Sadar, Bandor, Fatulla, Siddhirganj, Rupganj, Sonargaon and Araihazar. All the upazilas have more or less similar characteristics.
- Chairman of Zila Porishod: Anwar Hossain
- Deputy Commissioner (DC): Rabbi Miah
- Chairman Of Bandar Upazila: Ataur Rahman Mukul
|1||Narayanganj Sadar Upazila||10||55||100.75 km2|
|2||Sonargaon Upazila||11||352||171.66 km2|
|3||Bandar Upazila||05||90||55.84 km2|
|4||Araihazar Upazila||12||184||183.5 km2|
|5||Rupganj Upazila||09||146||247.95 km2|
The district pioneered in merchandising yarn and dyeing items. The cottage industry, like weaving, is abundant in this district. International trading, import and export business, shipyard brickfield, etc. create employment opportunities to the people which facilitate additional income to the household population. The small and medium industries of cotton are increasing day-by-day which fills the employment aids of the local people. The rural economy of Narayanganj is agriculture. According to Bangladesh Bank, the district is ranked third in nation in terms of gross national income (GNI) and possession of wealth.Now a day Network marketing is the best position in here.So its increased day by day.
The district of Narayanganj has 3080 mosques, 269 temples, 10 churches and 4 Buddhist temples.
Places of interest
The ancient city of Sonargaon was the capital of Isa Khan, a medieval ruler of Bengal. Sonargaon is also famous for producing muslin, a delicate and fine cloth made from cotton. The Dhaka-Narayanganj-Demra (DND) embankment surrounds Narayanganj district and protects it from flooding. Shaira Garden near Nazimuddin Bhuiyan Degree College at madanpur.
- The Bangladesh Engineering and Ship Building Corporation at Sonakanda on the east bank of the Shitalakshya River, established in 1925.
Flora and fauna
Almost the whole of Narayanganj district lies on the meander flood plain. Most of this area is now flooded only by rain-water. Only minor areas near the Lakhya. Old Brahmaputra, Meghan, Shitalakha and Dhaleswari river are affected by river water and receive fresh silt deposits. A wide variety of soils occurs in this district.
Mammals that are commonly seen in the district are Indian pipistrelle (Pipistrellus coromandra).
In the river, canal, beels, and ponds there are various kinds of fish, but because of water pollution, it is very hard to see fish in the river.
- Bhuiyan, Mokammal H (2012). "Narayanganj District". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Islam, Mufakharul (2012). "Jute Industry". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Narayanganj District.|