National Highway 3 (India)
Map of the National Highway in red
Rohtang Pass on NH 3
|Maintained by NHAI|
|Length||556 km (345 mi)|
|West end||Attari, Punjab|
|East end||Leh, J & K|
|States||Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir|
|Attari, Amritsar, Kartarpur, Jalandhar, Hoshiarpur, Nadaun, Hamirpur, Mandi, Kullu, Manali, Gramphoo, Kyelong, Leh|
National Highway 3, or NH 3, is a national highway in India. It starts from Atari adjacent to India-Pakistan border and near Amritsar and terminates at Leh in Jammu and Kashmir, via Manali in Himachal Pradesh.
- Attari - Jalandhar section of old NH 1.
- Jalandhar - Mandi section of old NH 70.
- Mandi - Manali section of old NH 21.
Part of national Highway 3 runs through upper reaches of Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, crossing some high elevation mountain passes. First major pass comes after Manali, which is Rohtang pass at an elevation of 3,978 m. Rohtang pass provides connectivity between the Kullu valley and the Lahaul and Spiti valleys of Himachal Pradesh. Next major pass on NH3 is Baralacha La at an elevation of 4,890 m in Zanskar range. In Leh district, NH 3 crosses over Nakee La (4739 m, 15547 ft), Lachulung La (5064 m, 16616 ft) and Taglang La.
National Highway 3 route runs through three states.
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu and Kashmir
Construction and upgradation
Process for upgrading of road from two to four lanes on Jalandhar to Hoshiarpur section was started by NHAI to improve connectivity. Traffic congestion is encountered at Adampur and Rama Mandi on this 58 km stretch. 39.4 km of this project is assigned to the public works department, Punjab.
- Terminal at Wagah India/Pakistan border.
- NH 54 near Amritsar.
- NH 354 near Amritsar.
- NH 503A near Amritsar.
- NH 44 near Jalandhar.
- NH 703 near Jalandhar.
- NH 703A near Jalandhar.
- NH 344B near Hoshiarpur.
- NH 503A near Hoshiarpur.
- NH 503 near Mubarakpur.
- NH 303 near Nadaun.
- NH 103 near Hamirpur.
- NH 305 near Aut.
- NH 505 near Gramphoo.
- NH 1 Terminal point near Leh.
- Leh-Manali Highway
- List of National Highways in India by highway number
- National Highways Development Project
- "New Numbering of National Highways notification - Government of India" (PDF). The Gazette of India. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Route substitution notification for national highways 3 and 503" (PDF). The Gazette of India. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Manali - Leh - Srinagar - 12 Mountain Passes". Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "National highways in Punjab". Public Works Department - Government of Punjab. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "National highways in H.P. as on 31.8.2015" (PDF). Public Works Department - Government of Himachal Pradesh. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "State-wise length of National Highways (NH) in India as on 30.06.2017". Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "NHAI starts process for widening of 58 km stretch of Jalandhar-Hoshiarpur road". The Tribune India. 9 January 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Work on Doaba four-laning projects set to gather pace". Hindustan Times. 16 January 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NH 3 (India).|