National Sun Yat-sen University
Motto in English
|Erudite, Interrogated, Deliberate, Discerning, and Persistent (taken from the Doctrine of the Mean )|
|Established||Founded 1924 |
Re-established November 12, 1980
|President||Cheng Ying-Yao (鄭英耀)|
|479 full-time, -- part-time|
Taiwan Comprehensive University System
|National Sun Yat-sen University|
National Sun Yat-sen University (NSYSU; Chinese: 國立中山大學) is a public research-intensive university renowned as an official think tank scholars' community as well as an academic center of oceanology and management studies, located in Sizihwan, Kaohsiung, Taiwan and Pratas Islands, South China Sea. NSYSU was the first national comprehensive university in Southern Taiwan, and ranks among the nation's top seven research universities.
The university was founded twice (in 1924 and 1980) in response to the national development needs, the alumni of both the original Sun Yat-sen University and the historical Moscow Sun Yat-sen University also have contributed to the re-establishment of NSYSU. In the beginning, all the Sun Yat-sen Universities adopted a statism educational model (中山大學模式) based-on Dr. Sun Yat-sen's philosophy. Present-day NSYSU is a normal public university, and is famous for its powerful political and commercial relations.
The university is organized into six colleges, but it also contains a considerable number of research institutes. NSYSU's programs in applied science, business school, marine sciences, and social science have consistently been ranked among Taiwan's top three. In addition, NSYSU often ranks among the world's top 400 universities overall. The exchange offices of the US Federal government, the Japanese government, and the European Commission are present on the campus.
The university faculty maintain strong ties to industry and government officials, many of whom also serve as elite bureaucrats and NGO advisors. Furthermore, NSYSU is the birthplace of the first Sinophone bulletin board system (中山大學美麗之島) and also is one of the four universities that make up Taiwan's Public Ivy, the Taiwan Comprehensive University System (TCUS).
- 1 History
- 2 Research
- 3 Campus and facilities
- 4 Academic rankings
- 5 Academic Units
- 6 International Exchange
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 Honorary doctorate
- 9 Affiliated school
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
In 1923, two years before his death, the Founding Father of the Republic of China (ROC), Dr. Sun Yat-sen, established two universities, one civil and one military. The civil university was National Kwangtung University (國立廣東大學, renamed National Sun Yat-sen University in 1926), and the military university was Whampoa Military Academy. Both universities generated remarkable contributions and played an important education role in modern Chinese history.
After National Sun Yat-sen University was established in Canton, it had to move south due to the Sino-Japanese War. The university moved first to Yunnan, and later to North Guangdong. Finally, in 1945, the university moved back to and resumed operations at its original campus in Canton.
In 1949, the government of the Republic of China moved to Taiwan. Its alumni expected the National Sun Yet-sen University (NSYSU) to be re-established in Taiwan, but appropriate timing didn't occur until 1980, when Moscow Sun Yat-sen University graduate, President Chiang Ching-kuo gave his approval, Dr. Lee Huan then led the project to establish the university at its current campus location at Sizihwan in Kaohsiung City, the second largest metropolitan area in Taiwan. Several successive presidents all carried the tradition of nurturing the university's growth and development.
When it was re-established, the university had four departments, two graduate institutes, and 189 students. Today, the university has 6 colleges (Liberal Arts, Sciences, Engineering, Management, Marine Sciences, and Social Sciences) and over 9500 students, offering 18 undergraduate majors, 35 masters programs, and 26 doctorate programs. NSYSU has grown, and is now recognized with international distinction as one of Taiwan's important research and learning institutions.
NSYSU was named by the Ministry of Education as one of the country's seven major research-intensive universities in 2002. Two years later, the College of Management became the nation's first AACSB accredited public university. In addition, NSYSU received the first/second stage grant of the "Aim for the Top University Plan" from the Ministry of Education in 2011 and 2016. Four years later, the university has held the 1st "NSYSU & UCSD Joint Symposium" on international academic cooperation.
Despite its small-medium size, National Sun Yat-sen University has always had outstanding research capabilities. The "Asia Pacific Ocean Research Center" at NSYSU is a world-class Kuroshio research center, it possesses the most advanced marine current power generation technology worldwide. The "Electronic Commerce and Internet Society Research Center" at NSYSU is the only social science research center in Taiwan that has been selected for the European Commission's 7th Framework Programme (FP7) SSH-NCP.
Distinctive government think tanks
- The US, EU, and Japanese offices
- Founded under the auspices of the United States government, European Commission, and Japanese government: the Sun Yat-sen American Center (est.1999), European Union Centre at NSYSU (est.2009), and Center for Japanese Studies at NSYSU (est.2010) are Southern Taiwan's only official office for political and academic exchanges.
- Lee Teng-hui Center for Governmental Studies
- Named in honor of former Taiwanese president Lee Teng-hui, the " Lee Teng-hui Center for Governmental Studies" established on February 1, 2017 (succeeding the "Dr. Teng-Hui Lee Political Economy Seminar" founded 2002). The center as a regional think tank, with the purpose of providing prescient and integrated research or advice for governmental policies and social issues.
- Center for Market Research and Public Opinion Polling
- The Center at NSYSU is the most important social science research center and public opinion survey unit in Southern Taiwan. The Center and National Chengchi University's Election Study Center are listed as Taiwan's two major university polling institutions.
Campus and facilities
Located alongside the Kaohsiung Harbor and a military base, the NSYSU campus is surrounded on three sides by mountains and also faces the open waters of the Taiwan Strait, thus making it a natural fortress. The Sizihwan beach (one of Eight Views of Taiwan) is located right on campus which makes the campus one of the most beautiful campuses in Taiwan. There are several characteristics like:
- Natural: Montane ecosystem, Marine ecosystem, Coral reef.
- Artificial: a seaside resort, a tunnel, a Japanese historic site.
|University rankings (overall)|
- Academic Ranking of World Universities
- According to Academic Ranking of World Universities (2015), NSYSU ranks #5 among Taiwan's national universities (447th worldwide).
- Financial Times - Executive MBA Ranking
- According to Financial Times (2015), NSYSU Global Executive MBA programme ranks #64 in the world in the 2015 Financial Times EMBA rankings and #86 in the 2018 ranking, the only ranked institution from Taiwan.
- US News Best Global Universities
- According to US News Best Global Universities (2016), NSYSU is the 6th-ranked university in Taiwan (663th worldwide).
- Times Higher Education
- According to Times Higher Education (2014-2015), NSYSU is the 6th-ranked university in Taiwan (62nd Asia; 351st-400th worldwide).
- THE 100 Under 50 university rankings
- According to Times Higher Education ranking of the 100 best universities under the age of 50 (2014-2015), NSYSU ranks as the 2nd university in Taiwan (49th worldwide).
- THES - QS World University Rankings
- According to the THES - QS World University Rankings, NSYSU ranks among the world's 500 best universities, ranked at 401+ (2009).
- Taiwan's World TOP 1000 Business School
Taiwan Business School Level 2014 Recommendation Rate (per 1000) School 1 UNIVERSAL 252 ‰ National Taiwan University - College of Management 2 TOP 164 ‰ National Chengchi University - College of Commerce 3 EXCELLENT 140 ‰ National Sun Yat-sen University - College of Management 4 EXCELLENT 104 ‰ Taiwan Tech - School of Management 5 EXCELLENT 60 ‰ Fu Jen Catholic University - College of Management 6 EXCELLENT 56 ‰ National Chiao Tung University - College of Management 7 GOOD 72 ‰ National Cheng Kung University - College of Management
NSYSU has six colleges: Engineering, Liberal Arts, Management, Marine Sciences, Science, and Social Sciences.
As of 2017, NSYSU had 68 research centers, including the following most important key centers:
- Top level
- Asia Pacific Ocean Research Center
- Electronic Commerce and Internet Society Research Center
- Large-scale multi-antenna system Research center
- Functional Crystalline Amorphous Complex Research Center
- Medical Science and Technology Center
- Centre for Humanities Innovation and Social Practices
- University level
- Sun Yat-sen Research Center for Social Science
- Multidisciplinary and Data Science Research Center (MDSRC)
- Management Studies Research Center
- Engineer Technology Research & Promotion Center
- Frontier Center for Ocean Science and Technology
- Center for the Humanities
Every year there are about 50 international exchange students that come to study, mostly management and business focused, in English and learn about Taiwanese culture as well as some varieties of Chinese language. The university also has a separate language institute where fee-paying students can study Mandarin and Taiwanese. There also are a similar number of out-going exchange students each year to NSYSU's partner universities such as Malaysia Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman. NSYSU has an active International Student Association. In 2009-2010 well over 250 international students were members of the ISA association at NSYSU, participating in over 20 student events. ISA has five key points: Student Services, Public Services, Social Events, Sports and Scholarship. The 2010-2011 International Student Executive Board will tentatively be elected in the fall of 2010 at NSYSU. The Office of International Affairs at NSYSU traditionally has monitored the election process.
- Central official
- Member of Legislative Yuan
- Chao Tien-Lin
- Cheng Tsao-Min
- Chen Li-Hui
- Chiang Lin-Chun
- Chiu Chih-wei
- Chung Shao-ho
- Hou Tsai-feng
- Hsu Chih-ming
- Hsu Jung-shu
- Huang Chao-shun
- Kuo Ching-Sheng
- Lai Chen-Chang
- Lee Kun-tse
- Liu Chun-hsiung
- Lin Chih-lung
- Lin Yi-shih
- Lwo Shih-hsiung
- Pan Men-an
- Wang Chin-lien
- Wang Chin-Shih
- Yu Chen Yueh-ying
|Lien Chan||1995||the Vice-President of the Republic of China|
|14th Dalai Lama||1996||Nobel Peace Prize winner|
|Yuan T. Lee||1996||Nobel Prize in Chemistry winner|
|Kao Ching-yuen||1997||Uni-President Enterprises Corporation CEO|
|Robert C. Merton||1998||Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences winner|
|Lee Huan||1999||the Premier of Taiwan|
|Gao Xingjian||2000||Nobel Prize in Literature winner|
|Peter Raven||2001||an academician of National Academy of Sciences|
|Vernon L. Smith||2003||Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences winner|
|Alex Horng||2004||CEO, Sunonwealth Electric Machine Industry Co., Ltd.|
|Gennady P. Turmov||2004||President, Far Eastern State Technical University, Russia|
|Chi-Huey Wong||2007||president of Academic Sinica|
- Guoguang Laboratory School, National Sun Yat-sen University (國立中山大學附屬國光高級中學) Homepage
- List of universities in Taiwan
- Sun Yat-sen University (disambiguation)
- When NSYSU was founded in 1980, NCKU and is still a "Taiwan Provincial" university.
- Huang, Muxuan (黃慕萱) (2004). 書目計量與學術評鑑—國內七所研究型大學論文發表概況分析。引文分析與學術評鑑研討會論文集. Taipei. p. 135–152.
- Wen-Hsin Yeh, The Alienated Academy: Culture and Politics in Republican China, 1919-1937. Harvard University Asia Center (November 15, 2000). p.173-176.
- NSYSU Annual Report 2015-16
- 出版品 - 國立中山大學中山新聞網 (in Chinese). National Sun Yat-sen University.
- #Academic rankings.
- Highly-ranked French engineering school - MINES PARISTECH
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-17. Retrieved 2013-02-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- NSYSU Annual Report 2016-17
- NSYSU Establishes the Lee Teng-Hui Center for Governmental Studies - National Sun Yat-sen UniversityNational Sun Yat-sen University
- "National Sun Yat-Sen University". Times Higher Education. 2015. Retrieved Oct 15, 2019.
- "National Sun Yat-sen University | Undergraduate | Top Universities". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2015. Retrieved Aug 26, 2015.
- "ShanghaiRanking Consultancy".
- 2015世界大學學術排名 中山大學穩居全球500大 - 國立中山大學National Sun Yat-sen University
- "Honorary doctorates" (in Chinese). National Sun Yat-sen University. Archived from the original on 24 December 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Honors". Sunonwealth Electric Machine Industry Co., Ltd. 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Honorary doctorates" (in Chinese). National Sun Yat-sen University. Archived from the original on 22 December 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Sun Yat-sen University.|
- Official website
- Official website English
- Introduce to National Sun Yat-sen University (2018)
- National Sun Yat-sen University Reviews - Kaohsiung, Taiwan Attractions - TripAdvisor
- Lee Teng-hui Center for Governmental Studies