Ned and Stacey
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ned and Stacey|
Main cast of Ned and Stacey
|Created by||Michael J. Weithorn|
|Starring||Thomas Haden Church|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||46 (11 unaired) (list of episodes)|
|Production location(s)||New York City|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanley Productions|
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
|Original release||September 11, 1995 –|
January 27, 1997
Ned and Stacey is an American sitcom created by Michael J. Weithorn, that aired on the Fox Broadcasting Company network from 1995 to 1997, starring Thomas Haden Church and Debra Messing as the titular couple.
Ned Dorsey (Church) and Stacey Colbert (Messing) are brought together in a marriage of convenience — Ned needs to be married to get a promotion, while Stacey desperately needs to move out of her parents' house, and Ned has a very good apartment.
Ned and Stacey's constant bickering slowly evolves into something resembling a romance. However, the show was cancelled before this plot could be developed further.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||24||September 11, 1995||April 1, 1996|
|2||22||November 17, 1996||January 27, 1997(11 unaired)|
An additional eleven episodes were produced but never aired.
- Thomas Haden Church as Ned Dorsey
- An uptight advertising executive. He marries Stacey in order to get a promotion. Ned is initially portrayed as a self-absorbed egomaniac who uses anyone to get ahead. However, Ned starts developing compassion and empathy for his friends, especially Stacey. Eventually, Ned falls in love with Stacey, but the series was cancelled before this was further developed.
- Debra Messing as Stacey Colbert Dorsey
- A beautiful, red-haired journalist with a degree from Brandeis. She marries Ned to get out of her parents' house and live in his apartment, which has a nice view of Central Park. She begins the show as a freelance journalist, but eventually lands a job writing for an airline magazine. Messy and neurotic, she often plays as a counter-balance for Ned's more uptight nature. Eventually, Stacey falls in love with Ned, but the series was cancelled before this was further developed.
- Greg Germann as Eric "Rico" Moyer
- Stacey's brother-in-law, Amanda's husband, and Ned's best friend. He is an accountant at Ned's advertising firm. Called Rico by Ned, he is slightly nerdy in a good natured way, and his straight down-the-middle persona is often used to counter Ned's antics. Eric is a mellow person, who is always being used by Ned in his personal schemes. He doesn't mind it since he idolizes his friend. He seldom stands up for himself, and Amanda often steps in when things threaten to get out of hand.
- Nadia Dajani as Amanda Colbert Moyer
- Stacey's sister, and Eric's wife. She is openly critical of the fake marriage in general and Ned in particular. During Season 1, Amanda was working as a high-end real estate agent. After a property investment with Ned goes wrong, she finds herself running a muffin store, "Amanda's Amuffins," during Season 2. She and Eric have one son, named Howard. As opposed to Stacey, Amanda is strong, well-organized, and cynical. She loves Eric, and often pushes him around, but most often she does this to make him stand up for himself or act on otherwise lost opportunities.
- Harry Goz as Saul Colbert, father of Stacey and Amanda
- Dori Brenner as Ellen Colbert, mother of Stacey and Amanda
- James Karen as Patrick Kirkland, Ned's boss
- John Getz as Les McDowell, Ned's colleague at the agency
- Natalia Nogulich as Bernadette McDowell, Les' alcoholic wife
- Marcia Cross as Diana Huntley, Ned's Girlfriend in the second season
(Spoken during the opening theme)
Ned: Why Stacey?
Stacey: Why Ned?
Ned: It was business.
Stacey: Strictly business.
Ned: Here's the deal – to get a promotion, I needed a wife.
Stacey: To get a life, I needed his apartment.
Ned: So what the hell, we up and got married.
Stacey: The only thing we have in common? We irritate each other.
Ned: Right! Enjoy the show.
This intro did not appear for the first episodes.
The series has been aired in the United Kingdom on channel Sony TV, which began airing the show on April 7, 2011, the same day as the channel's launch. After its cancellation the show reran on the USA Network from 1999 to 2001. The show later reran on WE: Women's Entertainment from 2003 to 2005. TV Guide Network began airing reruns of the show on September 12, 2011. Oxygen also occasionally airs the show, usually on Thursday at 6am EST. In Australia digital channel 7mate has been showing reruns of the series in 2011. In the United States, Rural TV began airing reruns on occasion. The show was last seen in 2015 on FamilyNet.
In 2014 Mill Creek Entertainment acquired the rights to the series, and released two compilation discs of the show.
On June 7, 2017, it was announced that Shout! Factory had acquired the rights to the series. They subsequently released Ned and Stacey – The Complete Series on DVD in Region 1 on September 26, 2017.
|DVD Name||Ep #||Release Date|
|The Complete First Season||24||September 20, 2005|
|The Complete Second Season||22||2014?|
|The Complete Series||46||September 26, 2017|