|Occupation||Playwright, book reviewer, editor, critic|
Genzlinger is a grandson of the late The Philadelphia Bulletin columnist Don Rose. He has a daughter named Abby who has Rett syndrome. Abby has appeared in Julia Roberts' documentary "Silent Angels."
Genzlinger began working for the Times as a television critic in 2011. Prior to that, he was an editor there. His reviews tend to shift more toward theater and television related to disabilities, such as plays called Syndrome, Autism: The Musical and Push Girls."
In one review, Genzlinger criticized TV writers for what he perceived as their overuse of the word "really". He claimed that it's, "delivered with a high-pitched sneer to indicate a contempt so complete that it requires no clarification" and, "it’s undoing 2,000 years’ worth of human progress." In response, comedian Jerry Seinfeld wrote an angry letter to Genzlinger. Seinfeld remarked, "Really, Neil? Really? You’re upset about too many people saying, 'Really?'? I mean, really...OK, fine, when it’s used in scripted media, it is a little lazy. But comedy writers are lazy. You’re not fixing that. So, here’s the bottom line. If you’re a writer, fine, don’t use it. But in conversation it is fun to say." Seinfeld also later mocked Genzlinger's use of the phrase "wrap my head around it."
- Simonson, Robert (19 July 2004). "New York Times Critic Authors Fringe Play The Last Detail". Playbill. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Tecumseh's Revenge." (Review of Jay Feldman's When the Mississippi Ran Backwards) The New York Times, 3 April 2005.
- "Theater Review: Will He Goof? (Whoops!) A Dexterous Clown Walks a Daffy Line." The New York Times, 23 March 2005.
- "Television Review: Horror Mixes With Hope in Two Reports on Racial Killings" The New York Times, 20 January 2003.
- Genzlinger, Neil. "Neil Genzlinger - The New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Nordyke, Kimberly. "Jerry Seinfeld Defends Use of the Word 'Really' in Angry Letter to New York Times Critic". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 29 June 2013.