Nell Hudson in 2018
Nell Rose Hudson
19 November 1990
|Alma mater||Oxford School of Drama|
Nell Rose Hudson (born 11 November 1990) is an English actress best known for her recurring roles as Laoghaire MacKenzie in the Starz television drama Outlander and Nancy Skerrett in the ITV period drama Victoria.
Hudson was born on 19 November 1990 in a small village in West Midlands, England. The middle of three children, Hudson spent her childhood on a farm before deciding, as a teenager, to pursue acting. Hudson attended the Oxford School of Drama, performing in plays such as The Crucible and Closer, eventually graduating with a degree in acting.
Hudson's first professional role, in 2012, was a guest spot in an episode of the fifteenth series of the BBC One medical drama Holby City. Later that year she appeared in Garrick Hamm's short film Cast Offs and director Bruce Logan's short Les Bohemes. In 2014, she landed the role of Laoghaire MacKenzie in Starz's time travel drama Outlander, based upon Diana Gabaldon's best-selling book series. The character is recurring and will continue throughout the series. On her character during the series' mid-season episode, Hudson stated that "when you are in just a lot of pain, it comes out as anger… I think that's quite a human characteristic, basically, and I think that's definitely what happens is that she's [Laoghaire] got all this pain and she doesn't know what to do with it and it comes out in this very kind of aggressive way and she does whatever she can do to rectify the situation."
Hudson guest-starred as Paulette Roland, a 17-year-old diabetic who discovers that she is pregnant, in series four of the BBC medical period drama Call the Midwife. The episode, which aired on 22 February 2015, explores the character's struggle with the possibility of either a dangerous pregnancy or a legal abortion. That same year she guest starred in NBC's international crime drama Crossing Lines. On 14 May 2015, Hudson played Lydia Bennet in Tamara Harvey's production of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice at the Sheffield Crucible, alongside James Northcote and Isabella Laughland.
In 2016, Hudson was featured in a series one episode of Sky1's amateur detective series Agatha Raisin, based upon the book series by MC Beaton. Hudson also appears in ITV's Victoria, a period drama centering on the life of British monarch Queen Victoria. She portrays Nancy Skerrett, the Queen's dresser, in the ongoing series.
|2012||Holby City||Tasha Cairncross||BBC One||Episode: "And We Banish Shade"|
|2014–Present||Outlander||Laoghaire MacKenzie||Starz||Recurring role, 9 episodes|
|2015||Call the Midwife||Paulette Roland||BBC||Episode: "4.6"|
|2015||Crossing Lines||Aurelia Roche||NBC||Episode: "In loco Parentis"|
|2016||Agatha Raisin||Kylie Stokes||Sky1||Episode: "The Day the Floods Came"|
|2016-2019||Victoria||Nancy Skerrett||ITV||Recurring role, 21 episodes|
|2013||Cast Offs||Young Girl||Short film|
|2013||Les Bohemes||Michele||Short film|
|2008||Pride and Prejudice||Lydia Bennett||Tamara Harvey||Sheffield Crucible|
Awards and Nominations
|2017||Satellite Awards||Best Ensemble (Television)||Outlander||Won|
- "Nell Hudson, star of 'Victoria' and 'Outlander' dishes on life and work - StarsAndCelebs.com". Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Five Things You Need To Know About Outlander's Nell Hudson". Harper's Bazaar UK. 2014. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- "Holby City - And We Banish Shade". BBC. 2012. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- "Starz's Outlander Series Casts Its Laoghaire MacKenzie (Exclusive)". Access Online. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Kreindler, Sarv. "Behind the Scenes of Sony's Short Film 'Les Bohemes'". Creative Planet Network. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Starz's Outlander series casts its Laoghaire MacKenzie (Exclusive)". Access Hollywood. 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- "'Outlander': Nell Hudson on heartbroken Laoghaire". Access Hollywood. 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "'Call the Midwife' Season 4 Episode 6 review". Cultbox. 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- TV.com. "Crossing Lines: Dragon". TV.com. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "First look at the cast of Pride and Prejudice at Sheffield Crucible". What's On Stage. 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Full Casting Announced For Pride & Prejudice". Sheffield Theatres. 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Agatha Raisin - S1 - Episode 6: The Day the Floods Came". Radio Times. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Nell Hudson says filming Victoria was like an eight-month long school trip". Evening Standard. 22 August 2017. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- Welch, Tricia (4 September 2017). "Victoria star Nell Hudson on fashion secrets: My favourite decade is the 70s". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Meet the cast of BBC1 thriller Informer". Radio Times. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- ACADEMY, INTERNATIONAL PRESS. "Nominations for the 21st Annual International Press Academy Satellite™ Awards". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 16 January 2019.