New York City Police Department Counterterrorism Bureau
|New York City Police Department Counterterrorism Bureau|
|Motto||Fidelis ad Mortem|
Faithful till Death
|Operations jurisdiction||New York, New York, USA|
|Map of New York City Police Department Counterterrorism Bureau's jurisdiction.|
|Size||468.9 square miles (1,214 km2)|
|Legal jurisdiction||New York City|
|Headquarters||One Police Plaza|
|Elected officer responsible|
|Parent agency||New York City Police Department|
The New York City Police Department Counterterrorism Bureau (also known as CT) is a division of the New York City Police Department (NYPD) responsible for preventing terrorist attacks within New York City. Former New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly described the CT as "a Council on Foreign Relations with guns".
Critical response command (CRC)
The CRC is a group of specially trained police officers who have specialized skills in advanced weapons use and awareness training in explosives, radiological, and biological/ chemical attacks. They are deployed daily to various locations in the city.
The counterterrorism division oversees a range of activities including:
- The Technology and Construction Section which designs counterterrorism projects.
- The Training Section which provides counterterrorism training.
- The Threat Reduction Infrastructure Protection Section (TRIPS) which develops specific defensive strategies for various locations in the city.
- The Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Section which conducts tests and research on new counterterrorism technologies.
- The Maritime Team, which designs counterterrorism systems for the city's harbors, this includes the Tactical Radiological Acquisition Characterization System (TRACS) which maps background radiation.
- The NYPD SHIELD Unit which provides information and training to the public on counterterrorism.
- The Emergency Preparedness and Exercise Section, which liaises with the NYC Office of Emergency Management.
Joint terrorist task force (JTTF)
The JTTF is a national security force which includes both members of the NYPD and the FBI, and operates both within New York City and globally. This partnership allows nationally classified documents to be used by the NYPD, and for local information to be shared at the national level.
Domain awareness system (DAS)
Lower manhattan security initiative (LMSI)
Terrorism threat analysis group
World Trade Center command
- Police surveillance in New York City
- New York City Police Department Intelligence Bureau
- Organization of the New York City Police Department
- "Counterterrorism - NYPD". www1.nyc.gov. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "NYPD counterterrorism chief says today's threats are "two inches deep but miles wide"". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "Is New York a Counterterrorism Model?". Council on Foreign Relations. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "Intelligence & Counterterrorism - NYPD". www1.nyc.gov. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- FOX. "Inside the NYPD Counterterrorism Bureau". WNYW. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
|This United States law enforcement agency article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|