New York State Route 146B
Map of the Schenectady area with NY 146B highlighted in red
|Auxiliary route of NY 146|
|Maintained by State of New York Department of Public Works|
|Length||3.05 mi (4.91 km)|
|Existed||c. 1932–c. 1965|
|West end||NY 146 in Clifton Park|
|East end||Miller and Sugarhill roads in Clifton Park|
New York State Route 146B (NY 146B) was a state highway in southern Saratoga County, New York, in the United States. It was 3 miles (4.8 km) long and located entirely within the town of Clifton Park. The western terminus of the route was at an intersection with NY 146, its parent route, in the hamlet of Rexford. The eastern terminus of NY 146B was in the hamlet of Groom Corners, where it met Miller and Sugarhill roads. NY 146B was assigned c. 1932 and removed c. 1965. Its former routing is now the western portion of County Route 91 (CR 91).
NY 146B began at an intersection with NY 146 in Rexford, a small riverside hamlet in the town of Clifton Park. The route headed southeastward on Riverview Road, following the northern bank of the Mohawk River (also part of the Erie Canal) through the town. It passed to the south of the Edison Country Club and remained on the riverbank to an intersection with Grooms Road approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) southeast of Rexford. Here, NY 146B turned eastward to follow Grooms Road to the hamlet of Groom Corners, a community based around the intersection of Grooms, Miller and Sugarhill roads. NY 146B ended at this junction; however, Grooms Road continued eastward to a junction with U.S. Route 9 (US 9) in the town of Halfmoon.
On July 11, 1916, the state of New York let a contract for improving a series of roadways linking Groom Corners to Waite Corners by way of Rexford Flats (now Rexford). Approximately half of the project was complete by 1920, while the remainder was completed by 1926. In the 1930 renumbering of state highways in New York, the portion of the Groom Corners–Waite Corners highway from Rexford to Waite Corners became part of the new NY 146. The remainder of the highway from Rexford to Groom Corners was designated as NY 146B, a spur route of NY 146, c. 1932. NY 146B remained unchanged until c. 1965, when the designation was removed from the highway. The former routing of NY 146B is now part of CR 91, which continues eastward on Grooms Road to meet US 9 in the town of Halfmoon. Additionally, the Riverview Road portion of old NY 146B is now part of the Mohawk Towpath Scenic Byway, a National Scenic Byway.
|0.0||0.0||NY 146||Hamlet of Rexford|
|3.0||4.8||Miller Road / Sugarhill Road||Hamlet of Groom Corners|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- New York (Map). Cartography by H.M. Gousha Company. Kendall Refining Company. 1931.
- Texaco Road Map – New York (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company. Texas Oil Company. 1932.
- New York State Department of Transportation (2014). "Region 1 Inventory Listing". Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- New York State Map (Map). Cartography by General Drafting. Standard Oil Company. 1964–65.
- New York (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company. Mobil Service. 1965.
- Microsoft; Nokia (July 15, 2015). "overview map of former NY 146B" (Map). Bing Maps. Microsoft. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- New York State Department of Highways (1920). Report of the State Commissioner of Highways. Albany, NY: J. B. Lyon Company. pp. 254, 448. Retrieved July 27, 2009.
- Official Map Showing State Highways and other important roads (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company. State of New York Department of Public Works. 1926.
- Road Map of New York (Map). Cartography by General Drafting. Standard Oil Company of New York. 1930.
- "Mohawk Towpath Scenic Byway". United States Department of Transportation. 2008. Retrieved September 22, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New York State Route 146B.|
- New York State Route 146B at New York Routes