New York Times Building (41 Park Row)
|New York Times Building|
(41 Park Row)
|Address||41 Park Row, Manhattan, New York, 10007|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||George B. Post|
|Structural engineer||Thomas R. Jackson|
The New York Times Building, at 41 Park Row in the Civic Center neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, was the home of The New York Times from 1889 to 1903, when it moved to Longacre Square, now known as Times Square. The building stands as the oldest of the surviving buildings of what was once "Newspaper Row", and is owned by Pace University. A bronze statue of Benjamin Franklin holding a copy of his Pennsylvania Gazette stands in front of the building across the street in Printing-House Square, currently known as 1 Pace Plaza.
The newspaper's first building was located at 113 Nassau Street in New York City. In 1854, it moved to 138 Nassau Street, and in 1858 it moved to a five-story building designed by Thomas R. Jackson in the Romanesque Revival style at 41 Park Row – until then the site of the Brick Presbyterian Church – making it the first newspaper in New York City housed in a building built specifically for its use. The 1851 building, located across from City Hall and dwarfing that of Horace Greeley's New-York Tribune, was described by the Times in 2001 as "a declaration that the newspaper regarded itself as a powerful institution in civic life... No politician standing on the broad steps of City Hall could fail to note the newspaper's presence. And after 1871, when The Times led the crusade against the Tweed Ring, no politician could afford to ignore it."
After Greeley's Tribune raised the stakes with a taller building of its own in the 1870s, the Times responded in 1889 with a commission for architect George B. Post to design a grander – and taller – building at 41 Park Row to replace the existing structure. The 16-story Romanesque building, with arches carved from Maine granite and Indiana Limestone, was constructed around the core of the original building. The printing presses were kept in place, and the new building constructed around it as the old one was demolished – this space was later used by Pace University as a gym. The top floor was designated for use by the composing room to allow the printers access to more natural light.
- Bindelglass, Evan (23 March 2017). "Pace University Redevelopment of Newspaper Row Building Halted at Landmarks". New York YIMBY. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Staff. "On Park Row, one historic building not owned by J&R", The Pace Press, November 14, 2001. Accessed October 10, 2008.
- Dunlap, David W.: "150th Anniversary: 1851–2001; Six Buildings That Share One Story", The New York Times, November 14, 2001. Accessed October 10, 2008. "Surely the most remarkable of these survivors is 113 Nassau Street, where the New-York Daily Times was born in 1851... After three years at 113 Nassau Street and four years at 138 Nassau Street, The Times moved to a five-story Romanesque headquarters at 41 Park Row, designed by Thomas R. Jackson. For the first time, a New York newspaper occupied a structure built for its own use."
- Dunlap, David W.: "Former Times Building Is Named a Landmark", The New York Times, March 17, 1999. Accessed October 10, 2008.
- Media related to 41 Park Row New York Times Building at Wikimedia Commons