Newton - Main Street
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
Just north of the village are the remains of the Roman town of Tripontium. The village is also at the northern end of the "Great Central Way" the footpath along the trackbed of the old Great Central Railway, near which a lioness sighting took place in 2008.
The main industry in the area is gravel extraction, which continues near the A5. Most of the houses in the village are of modern construction and were built to house workers for this industry. The Stag and Pheasant pub in Main St whilst not being the oldest pub in Warwickshire is the oldest building used as a pub in the County. Although the thatched building has a brick facing, probably added in the 17th Century, its core is a massive oak cruck frame of indeterminate age, possibly Saxon. The Townlands Allotments are also of some antiquity being established in 1752 at the time of the enclosures. They are at the end of Little London Lane - one of a number of localities carrying this name in England. The origins of the name are not believed to be directly linked with "London" but rather a corruption of the Old English "utlenden". Utlenden (outsiders) were Welsh drovers who set up camps on waste land en route to markets in London.
Edward Cave, the 18th century publisher was born in the village.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 30 December 2015.
Media related to Newton at Wikimedia Commons