O'Leary with the Buffalo Bills in 2015
|No. 83 – Miami Dolphins|
|Born:||August 31, 1992|
North Palm Beach, Florida
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||252 lb (114 kg)|
|High school:||William T. Dwyer|
(Palm Beach Gardens, Florida)
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 6 / Pick: 194|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Nicklaus O'Leary (born August 31, 1992) is an American football tight end for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the sixth round of the 2015 NFL Draft. He played college football at Florida State.
O'Leary is one of five children of Bill and Nan (Nicklaus) O'Leary. He attended Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, where he played football and lacrosse. He won state titles in both football and lacrosse. As a senior, he had 51 receptions for 875 yards and 12 touchdowns. Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, he was listed as the top-ranked tight end recruit in his class.
As a true freshman in 2011, O'Leary played in all 13 games with two starts. He finished the season with 12 receptions for 164 yards and one touchdown. As a sophomore in 2012, he started 11 of 13 games, recording 21 receptions for 252 yards and three touchdowns. As a junior in 2013, he was a John Mackey Award finalist after recording 33 receptions for 557 yards with seven touchdowns. After considering entering the 2014 NFL Draft, O'Leary returned to Florida State for his senior season. During his senior season, he set Florida State's record for career receptions for a tight end. He again was a finalist for the John Mackey Award, this time winning it. He was also named a consensus All-American. O'Leary finished the season with 48 receptions for 618 yards and six touchdowns. For his career, O'Leary had 114 receptions for 1,591 yards and 17 touchdowns.
On September 1, 2018, O'Leary was released by the Bills.
On September 20, 2018, O'Leary was signed to the Miami Dolphins' practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on October 5, 2018. He scored his first touchdown with the Dolphins in Week 6 against the Bears on a five-yard pass from Brock Osweiler. On December 1, 2018, O'Leary signed a one-year contract extension with the Dolphins through the 2019 season.
O'Leary's maternal grandfather is golfing legend Jack Nicklaus. Nick's father, Bill, was a highly recruited tight end who played at the University of Georgia, and his mother, Nan, played volleyball at Georgia.
- Making his own name: Nick O'Leary _ Jack Nicklaus' grandson _ is the nation's top TE recruit
- Schad, Joe. "Miami Dolphins promote TE Nick O'Leary of Palm Beach to 53-man roster". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Nick O'Leary". Rivals.com. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Jameis Winston, Nick O'Leary among 4 Florida State players who are finalists for national awards
- Florida State tight end Nick O'Leary will return for his senior season, DT Timmy Jernigan going to NFL
- Nick O'Leary, Rashad Greene set Florida State receiving marks
- "FSU's Nick O'Leary named top tight end". ESPN.com. December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Aguayo, O'Leary, Jackson named consensus all-americans". Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Bills TE Nick O'Leary carving out a role with his bare hands". Bills Wire. September 3, 2016. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Bills acquire champion bloodlines, draft Nick O'Leary". BuffaloBills.com. May 3, 2015.
- "Bills add TE Nick O'Leary to practice squad". BuffaloBills.com. September 10, 2015.
- Dunne, Tyler (December 8, 2015). "Bills make a TE switch: Matthew Mulligan is out, Nick O'Leary is in". BuffaloNews.com.
- "New Orleans Saints at Buffalo Bills - November 12th, 2017". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- "Bills make these moves to reach the 53-man roster limit". BuffaloBills.com. September 1, 2018.
- "Dolphins sign former Bills TE Nick O'Leary to its practice squad". Dolphins Wire. USA Today. September 20, 2018.
- "Nick O'Leary Promoted To Active Roster". MiamiDolphins.com. October 5, 2018.
- "Nick O'Leary had a lot of Dolphins firsts Sunday. His famous grandfather saw it all". miamiherald. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Smith, Michael David (December 1, 2018). "Dolphins extend Nick O'Leary through 2019". Pro Football Talk. NBC Sports.
- Seminoles Tight End's Competitive Drive Recalls His Grandfather Nicklaus
- FSU's Nick O'Leary hopes to step out of famous grandfather Jack Nicklaus' shadow
- "The Nicklaus-Sarasota O'Leary connection". golf.heraldtribune.com. Retrieved December 11, 2018.