Nippon Cargo Airlines
|Founded||21 September 1978|
|Parent company||Nippon Yusen|
|Headquarters||Narita International Airport|
Narita, Chiba, Japan
|Key people||Tetsufumi Otsuki (President & CEO)|
Nippon Cargo Airlines Company, Limited (日本貨物航空株式会社 Nippon Kamotsu Kōkū Kabushiki-gaisha), or NCA, is a cargo airline with its head office on the property of Narita International Airport in Narita, Chiba Prefecture, outside Tokyo. It operates scheduled cargo services in Asia and to Europe and North America. Its main base is Narita Airport.
Nippon Cargo Airlines was established on September 21, 1978 (its head office was initially a single room inside All Nippon Airways' space at the Kasumigaseki Building) and started operations in 1985. It was Japan's first all-cargo airline. Over time, their network has grown to include many cities on three continents. Initially, NCA was a joint venture of shipping companies headed by Nippon Yusen and All Nippon Airways (ANA). In August 2005, ANA sold its stake to Nippon Yusen. The airline is owned by Nippon Yusen (100%).
Nippon Cargo Airlines serves the following destinations (as of August 2014):
Nippon Cargo Airlines codeshares with the following airlines:
NCA's fleet consists of the following aircraft (as of August 2019):
- On 9 June 2005 Nippon Cargo Airline's first Boeing 747-400F was delivered in Everett, Washington, the first of four ordered by the airline.
- In June 2006, NCA ordered two additional Boeing 747-400F to eight that had already been ordered. These aircraft were delivered beginning in 2008 and replaced the Boeing 747-200F. By May 2009, the ten 747-400 had been delivered, but the last two were placed with Cargo B Airlines, a Belgian operator which NCA owned shares of. Cargo B filed for bankruptcy in May 2009, and the two aircraft were placed into storage. Subsequently, both were leased (or possibly sold) to AirBridgeCargo Airlines.
- In 2007 the airline had ordered 14 Boeing 747-8 freighter aircraft and has taken delivery of eight examples. In 2015 it cancelled outstanding orders for four of the aircraft, but still retains options on two more. It is thought to be due to the downturn of cargo volumes in the Asia Pacific region. In 2017, it cancelled the remaining two options of the aircraft, leaving the airline with no further unfulfilled aircraft orders.
Nippon Cargo Airlines previously operated the following aircraft:
Headquarters and major offices
Nippon Cargo Airlines has its headquarters in the NCA Line Maintenance Hangar (NCAライン整備ハンガー NCA Rain Seibi Hangā) at Narita International Airport in Narita, Chiba Prefecture. The hangar is within the engineering and maintenance complex at Narita Airport. The facility has several environmentally friendly aspects, including a light wall, top lighting, naturally balanced wind power vent windows, a garden roof, a solar water heating system, and equipment to use rainwater to wash aircraft fuselages.
In 2007 NCA signed a deal with Nippon Steel Engineering, which historically built hangars for large aircraft, for the construction of a maintenance and engineering hangar at Narita. The building was to have environmentally friendly procedures conducive to maintaining aircraft during the daytime, because NCA has its aircraft maintenance activities scheduled for daytime hours. On April 30, 2009, the construction of the line maintenance hangar was completed. On June 8, 2009, the hangar's operations began.
In July 1978, when the company first began, it operated within a single room inside All Nippon Airways's space in the Kasumigaseki Building in Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda, Tokyo. In March 1997 NCA moved its headquarters from the Shiroyama JT Mori Building (城山JT森ビル Shiroyama JT Mori Biru) to the 10th floor of the New Kasumigaseki Building (新霞が関ビル Shin Kasumigaseki Biru), which had housed NCA's marketing division from 1987 to 1991. In March 2003, due to a demand for more space, the headquarters moved to the Shiodome City Center in Shiodome, Minato, Tokyo when it opened; the move was the fifth time the headquarters moved. The airline had its headquarters and its East Japan sales office on the 8th floor.
Regional office facilities
Currently the airline's corporate Tokyo office is in the Onarimon Yusen Building (御成門郵船ビルディング Onarimon Yūsen Biru) in Nishi-Shimbashi, Minato, Tokyo. In 2008 the corporate Narita office was on the fourth floor of the Cargo Administration Building (貨物管理ビル Kamotsu Kanri Biru).
Other Japan facilities
NCA opened a computer center in Koto, Tokyo in 2007, with the opening ceremony taking place on March 12, 2007. Previously the computer operations were done at the ANA computer center. On October 9, 2007 the airline established its Global Operations Center at Terminal 2 of Narita International Airport. Some members of the technical section of the flight operations headquarters were immediately moved to the new center. In the northern hemisphere spring of 2008, crew-related sections were to be transferred to the new operations center. In 2007 NCA signed an order with Taisei Corporation for the construction of a crew training center. Construction on the crew center, located in Shibayama, Sanbu District, was to begin in September 2007. The company scheduled for the facility to become operational in September 2008. On May 6, 2011 the airline announced that it was relocating its local Narita offices and its cargo warehouse from Narita's north cargo area to Narita's south cargo area.
Divisions and worldwide offices
In 2007 NCA established the regional subsidiaries NCA Americas Inc. and Nippon Cargo Airlines Europe B.V. Its Americas regional headquarters is on the property of O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, Illinois. Its European regional headquarters is on the property of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in Haarlemmermeer, Netherlands. Originally the US subsidiary was to be headquartered in New York.
- ANA expanding its air cargo network. Japan Update (2013-05-23). Retrieved on 2013-08-16.
- Nippon Cargo Airlines, Corporate Profile.
- "Chapter 3. On the path to becoming a member of the incumbent carrier group." Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on September 1, 2015.
- "Ref: Change in NCA Shareholders" (PDF) (Press release). NCA. July 12, 2005. Retrieved February 28, 2008.
News & Topics
- "政府専用機免許、取得業務を受託 ＮＣＡ、防衛省から". The Nikkei. December 8, 2010. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- Nippon Cargo Airlines, Flight Schedule
- Sky Talk: Cargo. Blogs.star-telegram.com. Retrieved on 2014-04-12.
- "Agreement with Atlas Air gives Nippon Cargo the runway to new markets - The Loadstar". The Loadstar. August 7, 2017. Retrieved August 20, 2017.
- GmbH, DVV Media Group. "NCA and Singapore to form strategic cargo partnership ǀ Air Cargo News". www.aircargonews.net.
- "Japan's NCA, Singapore Airlines Cargo ink partnership deal". ch-aviation.
- "Global Airline Guide 2019 (Part One)". Airliner World (October 2019): 18.
- Air International, July 2005
- Airframe 36784.
- Airframe 36785.
- "NCA Cancels 747-8 Freighters". Airliner World: 18. November 2015.
- Nippon Cargo cancels order for two 747-8 freighters, Air Cargo News, 28 Mar 2017.
- "Global Airline Guide 2017 (Part One)". Airliner World (October 2017): 18.
- NCA - Nippon Cargo Fleet ch-aviation.ch
- "Directory: World Airlines Part 3 (2009)". Flight International: 29–90. April 14, 2009.
- "会社概要." Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "本社（成田事務所）〒282-0011 千葉県成田市成田国際空港内 NCAライン整備ハンガー" - "本社" means headquarters in Japanese, and "東京事業所 〒105-0003 東京都港区西新橋三丁目23番5号 御成門郵船ビルディング11階"
- "Corporate Profile." Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "NARITA OFFICE NCA Line Maintenance Hangar Narita International Airport Narita-shi, Chiba 282-0011, Japan" and "TOKYO OFFICE : Onarimon Yusen Bldg. 11F 3-23-5 Nishi-Shimbashi Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0003, Japan"
- "Accelerated progress toward independent operations "Order placed for construction of a crew training center and an engineering & maintenance hangar"." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on February 20, 2012.
- "Ecological Features for Environment Conservation." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on February 19, 2012. This is linked from "Environment-Friendly Line Maintenance Hanager with State-of-the-Art Technology Completed at Narita International Airport" so we know this has to do with the hangar.
- "Order placed for construction of a crew training center and an engineering & maintenance hangar." Nippon Cargo Airlines. August 9, 2007. Retrieved on February 20, 2012.
- "Environment-Friendly Line Maintenance Hanager with State-of-the-Art Technology Completed at Narita International Airport." Nippon Cargo Airlines. July 2, 2009. Retrieved on February 19, 2012.
- "Chapter 3. On the path to becoming a member of the incumbent carrier group." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. 59. Retrieved on February 18, 2010.
- "第３章 先発企業グループへの." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. 108. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "1997年3月にコスト抑制を主な目的として、城山JT森ビルから新霞が関ビル10階へと移転した。"
- "NCA Worldwide Offices." Nippon Cargo Airlines. August 9, 2004. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "Head Office Shiodome City Center 8F 5-2, Higashi-Shinbashi, 1-Chome, Minato-Ku, Tokyo 105-7108, Japan" and "East Japan Sales Office Shiodome City Center 8F 5-2, Higashi-Shinbashi, 1-Chome, Minato-Ku, Tokyo 105-7108, Japan"
- "NCA's Support for Relief Supplies Transportation for Philippines Landslide Disaster." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. February 22, 2006. Retrieved on February 18, 2012.
- "Corporate Profile." Nippon Cargo Airlines. June 28, 2008. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "NARITA OFFICE Cargo Administration Bldg. 4F Narita International Airport Narita-shi, Chiba 282-0021, Japan"
- "会社概要." Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "本社（成田事務所） 〒282-0021 千葉県成田市成田国際空港内 貨物管理ビル4階"
- "NCA's Computer Center Opens." Nippon Cargo Airlines. March 16, 2007. Retrieved on February 18, 2012.
- "NCA's Computer Center Opens." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. March 16, 2007. Retrieved on February 18, 2012.
- "Establishment of "NCA's Global Operations Center"." Nippon Cargo Airlines. October 9, 2007. Retrieved on February 19, 2012.
- "A step forward in the quest for independent flight operations Establishment of "NCA's Global Operations Center" Some sections of the Flight Operations HQ move to Terminal 2 at Narita International Airport on October 9." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. October 9, 2009. Retrieved on February 17, 2012.
- "Relocation of NCA Cargo Handling Facilities in Narita, Japan." Nippon Cargo Airlines. May 6, 2011. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. Japanese version
- "NCA's business structure in the United States and Europe." Nippon Cargo Airlines. April 3, 2007. Retrieved on February 18, 2012.
- "NCA's business structure in the United States and Europe Establishment of NCA Americas Inc. and Nippon Cargo Airlines Europe B.V.." (Archive) Nippon Cargo Airlines. April 3, 2007. Retrieved on February 18, 2012.
- "America." Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "663 North Access Road, O'Hare International Airport, Chicago, IL 60666, U.S.A."
- "Europe." Nippon Cargo Airlines. Retrieved on February 17, 2012. "Vrachtstation 5, Pelikaanweg 47, 1118DT, Luchthaven Schiphol, The Netherlands"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nippon Cargo Airlines.|