No. 180 Squadron RAF
|No. 180 Squadron RAF|
|Active||11 September 1942 – 31 March 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Motto(s)||Latin: Suaviter in modo fortier in re (Agreeable in manner, forcible in act)|
|Squadron Badge||Two arrows behind a velvet glove.|
|Squadron code||EV (September 1942 – March 1946)|
Formation in World War II
The Squadron was equipped with Mitchells at RAF West Raynham. It then flew its first raid from RAF Foulsham and suffered heavy losses including the aircraft of the squadron commander. After supporting the breakout from the Normandy beachhead in June 1944, the squadron re-located to Melsbroek, Belgium. It supported the allied advance across Europe and from April 1945 it operated from Achmer, Germany.
|Sep 1942||Apr 1945||North American B-25 Mitchell||II|
|Dec 1944||Sep 1945||North American B-25 Mitchell||III|
|Sep 1945||Mar 1946||de Havilland Mosquito||XVI|
- Imperial War Museum. "Collections Search for "180 squadron RAF"". IWM Collections Search. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Barrass, M. B. (2015). "No. 176–180 Squadron Histories". Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- Royal Air Force. "180 Squadron". Historic Squadrons. Retrieved 21 April 2013.