No. 221 Squadron IAF
|No. 221 Squadron|
|Active||14 February 1963 - Present|
|Country||Republic of India|
|Branch||Indian Air Force|
The squadron was established as an offensive fighter squadron on 14 February 1963 at Barrackpore. The first commanding officer was Squadron Leader N Chatrath. The was subsequently equipped with Supermarine Spitfire, de Havilland Vampire and Su-7. The squadron has changed many based in the 54 years since its establishment. The Su-7 aircraft saw action in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 over Bangladesh. It also participated in the Kargil war with the Mig-23, which were retired in 2009. On 24 April 2017, Su30-MKI aircraft was inducted into the squadron with Wing Commander HS Luthra as the commanding officer. Numerous pilots from the squadron have been decorated with gallantry awards over many years of its operation.
- "Press Information Bureau". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Indian Air Force boosts capabilities near Indo-Pakistani border with new fighter squadron | Jane's 360". www.janes.com. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "IAF inducts Su-30 MKI into frontline 221 Squadron". The Financial Express. 24 April 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "IAF enhances capabilities of Halwara base".
- bureau, Odisha Diary (25 April 2017). "Induction Ceremony of SU 30 MKI to the Valiants - OdishaDiary". OdishaDiary. Retrieved 1 November 2017.