No. 672 Squadron RAF
|No. 672 Squadron RAF|
|Active||16 November 1944 – 1 July 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 229 Group RAF, South East Asia Command|
|Squadron Badge||No badge authorised|
|Squadron Codes||No code(s) known to have been used by this squadron|
No. 672 Squadron was formed at Bikram, Patna in India on 16 November 1944 as a glider squadron, with the intention of being used for airborne operations by South East Asia Command. It continued to train, as part of No. 344 Wing RAF, until the surrender of Japan, when it became surplus to requirements. The squadron was disbanded as last unit of 344 Wing at Chaklala on 1 July 1946.
The squadron today is represented by 672 Squadron of 9 Regiment, Army Air Corps.
|November 1944||August 1945||Hadrian|
|November 1944||August 1945||de Havilland Tiger Moth||Mk.II|
|16 November 1944||26 February 1945||Bikram, Bihar, British India|
|26 February 1945||30 April 1945||Belgaum, Karnataka, British India|
|30 April 1945||August 1945||Bikram, Bihar, British India|
|August 1945||19 November 1945||Kargi Road, Chhattisgarh, British India|
|19 November 1945||1 April 1946||Fatehjang, Punjab, British India|
|1 April 1946||1 July 1946||Chaklala, Punjab, British India|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937-56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd, 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.