No. 679 Squadron RAF
|No. 679 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 December 1943 – 26 June 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Part of||No. 70 Group RAF, Air Defense of Great Britain (1943–1944)|
No. 70 Group RAF, Fighter Command (1944–1945)
|Base||RAF Ipswich, Suffolk|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||No badge known to have been authorised|
|Squadron Codes||3M (Dec 1943 – Jun 1945)|
No. 679 Squadron was formed on 1 December 1943 at RAF Ipswich, Suffolk, from 1616 and 1627 (anti-aircraft co-operation) Flight for anti-aircraft training duties in East Anglia, and operated upon formation Westland Lysanders, Miles Martinets, Hawker Henleys and Hawker Hurricanes, receiving Fairey Barracudas and Hurricane Mk.IVs in March 1944 and Vultee Vengeances in April 1945. It was disbanded at RAF Ipswich on 26 June 1945.
|December 1943||February 1944||Hawker Henley||Mk.III|
|December 1943||February 1944||Westland Lysander||Mk.II|
|December 1943||June 1945||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|December 1943||June 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IIc|
|March 1944||June 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IV|
|March 1944||June 1945||Fairey Barracuda||Mk.II|
|April 1945||June 1945||Vultee Vengeance||Mk.IV|
|1 December 1943||26 June 1945||RAF Ipswich, Suffolk|
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE,BA,RAF (Retd). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.