|Location||Jewar, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh|
The Jewar Airport is a proposed airport to be constructed in Jewar (56 kilometres (35 mi) from Noida) in Gautam Budh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh. The Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA) will be the implementing agency on behalf of the Uttar Pradesh State Government. The airport is to be developed on a Public Private Partnership model (PPP) The airport, expected to be completed by 2022, will be able to handle 5 million passengers per annum (MPA) initially and up to 60 MPA after expansion over 30 years.
The project site is 72 kilometres (45 mi) from Indira Gandhi International Airport; 40 km from Bulandshahr, 60 km from Noida & 70 km from Faridabad & Ghaziabad, about 48 km from Greater Noida, 65 km from Gurgaon and 130 km from Agra. It will connect to the Yamuna Expressway, allowing domestic and international tourists to reach Agra, Mathura and Vrindavan.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of Noida International Airport. YEIDA has identified 5,100 hectares for the project, out of which 240 hectares belongs to the state government and rest is with private owners. YEIDA will acquire 1,327 hectares in the first phase for construction of terminal buildings and runways. Bids for the airport are expected to be invited by end 2018.
The project was first proposed in 2001 by then Uttar Pradesh chief minister Rajnath Singh as a Greenfield Taj International and aviation Hub (TIAH) at Jewar village near Greater Noida, near the Yamuna Expressway. The Central government cleared the techno-feasibility report for setting up TIAH in April 2003. It was to be built at an approximate cost of ₹5000 crore (₹50 billion) by the year 2007-08. The project was put on hold during the UPA regime because the project site was within 150 kilometres of an existing greenfield airport in Delhi. This site was within 72 kilometres of Indira Gandhi International Airport(IGI), Delhi. Its operators, the GMR Group had protested against plans for another international airport within 150 kilometres of the existing Delhi airport, claiming that it would impact traffic and revenue generation. GMR has right of first refusal (RoFR) on new airport within 150 kilometres of the existing Delhi airport. The RoFR was to ensure that GMR gets preference in bidding for the Greater Noida airport in case its bid is within 10% of the highest bidder.
When the Akhilesh Yadav led government was formed in Uttar Pradesh in 2012, it contemplated shelving the project while proposing a new international airport in Agra. In June 2013, the State Government finalized on Kurikupa near Hirangaon, Tundla in Firozabad district as site for the proposed airport. In January 2014, the Defence Ministry raised some objections to the site near Tundla. The state government allocated land near Etmadpur for the proposed airport in November 2014.
In 2014, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was voted to power at the Centre and the project was again shifted back to Jewar. The civil aviation ministry cleared the proposal for the new airport to be set up on 2,200 acres of land in June 2015 The Union Ministry of Defence (moD) cleared the project in June 2016. The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) on Tuesday gave in-principle approval to the Uttar Pradesh government to build the airport in May 2018. In July 2017, the Union Chief Secretary for Aviation warned Uttar Pradesh government to expedite the planning process as Hisar Airport was also pushing for its competing union cabinet approval for another airport for the NCR, thus prolonging the return on investment for both airports due to still-feasible-but-diluted viability for both.
- Aug 2018: Noida International Airport Company Limited (NIAL) formed. NIAL will handle the bidding and overall project management of the project.
- Nov 2018: UP Government approves allocation of INR 1260 Crores for land acquisition. 
- Dec 2018: Airport to be built under Private Public Partnership (PPP) mode. 
- 29 Dec 2018: District administration submits rehabilitation and resettlement (R&R) document on land acquisition. 
- Jan 2019: Acquisition of 1334 hectare of land to start by month end.
- Feb 2019: In UP budget, UP govt has allocated ₹800 Cr for land acquisition to expedite work. Foundation stone to be laid in March 2019.
- Mar 2019: Due to land acquisition related issues, the foundation stone laying ceremony is deferred for few months.
- "UP govt revives Jewar airport project, survey to start today". Daily News Analysis. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "Inauguration of Jewar airport by end of December: Nandi".
- "New Greenfield Noida International Airport at Jewar picking momentum- Progress Report". Press Information Bureau. 3 April 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Noida International Airport project to be completed by 2022". Business Today. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Greater Noida Airport foundation stone to be laid by Oct: Govt". The Times of India. 3 April 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- Abhishek Anand (6 March 2019). "Jewar airport project in a limbo as farmers move court". India Today. Jewar. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Tenders for Jewar airport by year-end". The Times of India. 11 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Noida: Three governments, countless proposals later, Jewar finally to get airport". Hindustan Times. 24 June 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "New initiatives". Greater Noida Authority. Archived from the original on 19 December 2011.
- "Greater Noida's Jewar airport awaits nod from civil aviation ministry". The Times of India. 8 April 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Hindustan Times e-Paper". paper.hindustantimes.com.
- "Taj international airport project hits MoD hurdle". 11 January 2014.
- "Land given for international airport near Agra: Akhilesh Yadav". Zee News. 8 November 2014.
- "Jewar to take wing as ministry clears second NCR Airport". The Times of India. 26 June 2015.
- Aviation secy tells UP to form Jewar airport SPV, Yamuna Authority’s hands full, money Control News, 10 July 2017.
- "10-member government panel to be part of Jewar airport agency". The Times of India.
- "UP Government Approves Rs 1,260 Crore For Jewar Airport Land Acquisition". NDTV.com.
- "Jewar airport to be built on public-private-partnership mode". 9 December 2018.
- "Rehab plan of landlosers for Jewar airport ready". The Times of India.
- "Land acquisition for Jewar airport to start by January-end". The Times of India.
- Prasad, Nikita (28 February 2019). "Jewar International Airport: How UP government is clearing land acquisition hurdles". The Financial Express. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "पीएम आज आ रहे हैं ग्रेटर नोएडा, जानिए- क्यों नहीं करेंगे जेवर एयरपोर्ट का शिलान्यास". Dainik Jagran (in Hindi). 9 March 2019. Retrieved 9 March 2019.