Northumberland Rugby Football Union
|Full name||Northumberland Rugby Football Union|
|Region||Northumberland, Tyne and Wear|
The Northumberland Rugby Union is the governing body for rugby union in the county of Northumberland, England and is one of the constituent bodies of the national Rugby Football Union having been formed in 1880. In addition, the county has won the county championship on two occasions, and finished runners-up on a further five occasions.
The Union was founded in 1880 by six club sides. The six founding members were The Northumberland Football Club (defunct), The (original) Borough of Tynemouth Football Club (defunct), The Northern Football Club, The (original) Gosforth Football Club, The Tynedale Football Club and The Percy Park Football Club.
Northumberland were one of the very few counties to own their own ground. In 1932 they built the Northumberland County Ground. Many international fixtures were played there; all County Finals were played at the ground until it was demolished in 1988.
Northumberland senior men's county honours
- County Championship winners (2): 1898, 1981
- County Championship Plate winners (4): 2003, 2008, 2011, 2013
There are currently 22 clubs affiliated with the Northumberland RFU, making it one of the smaller unions in England. Most of the clubs in the Northumberland RFU have teams at both senior and junior level and are based either in Northumberland or Tyne and Wear.
County club competitions
- Durham/Northumberland 1 (alongside Durham RFU) - league ranked at tier 7 of the English rugby union system for clubs that are based in either County Durham, Northumberland or Tyne and Wear
- Durham/Northumberland 2 - tier 8 league
- Durham/Northumberland 3 - tier 9 league
- Northumberland Senior Cup - founded in 1882, typically open to clubs at tiers 4-6 of the English rugby union system
- Northumberland Senior Plate - founded in 2002, open to clubs at tiers 7-9
- Durham/Northumberland 4 - tier 10 league that was discontinued in 2006
|This rugby union article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|