Norton Knatchbull, 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Right Honourable|
The Earl Mountbatten of Burma
|Born||8 October 1947|
|Spouse(s)||Penelope Meredith Eastwood|
|Issue||Nicholas Knatchbull, Lord Brabourne|
Lady Alexandra Hooper
The Hon. Leonora Knatchbull
|Parents||Patricia Mountbatten, 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma|
John Knatchbull, 7th Baron Brabourne
Norton Louis Philip Knatchbull, 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma (born 8 October 1947), known until 2005 as Lord Romsey and until 2017 as The Lord Brabourne, is a British peer.
Life and education
Mountbatten was born in London as the eldest son of Patricia Knatchbull, 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma and John Knatchbull, 7th Baron Brabourne.
On the death of his father on 23 September 2005, he became the 8th Baron Brabourne, of Brabourne in the County of Kent, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. He also succeeded to the title of 17th Baronet Knatchbull, of Mersham Hatch in the County of Kent, in the Baronetage of England. On the death of his mother on 13 June 2017, he became the 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma, also a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom created for his grandfather, Admiral of the Fleet Lord Louis Mountbatten, the last Viceroy of India.
Marriage and children
Mountbatten married Penelope Meredith Eastwood (born 16 April 1953), a daughter of Reginald Wray Frank Eastwood (1912–1980), a self-made millionaire who began his working life as a butcher at 15 and founded the Angus Steakhouse chain, and his wife Marian Elizabeth Hood (b. 1928), on 20 October 1979 at Romsey Abbey, Romsey, in Hampshire, where his parents were married in 1946. The family home is Broadlands, also in Hampshire.
The wedding took place two months after the assassination of his grandfather, Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, by an IRA bomb which also killed three others, including his younger brother, Nicholas Knatchbull (1964–1979), and his grandmother Doreen Knatchbull, Baroness Brabourne (1896–1979).
The 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma and his wife had three children, two of whom have survived to adulthood:
- Nicholas Louis Charles Norton Knatchbull, Lord Brabourne (born 15 May 1981)
- Lady Alexandra Victoria Edwina Diana Knatchbull (born 5 December 1982), married on 25 June 2016 to Thomas Hooper, CEO of Third Space Learning. They have one son - Inigo Norton Sebastian Mountbatten Hooper (b. 21 December 2017).
- The Hon. Leonora Louise Marie Elizabeth Knatchbull (25 June 1986 – 22 October 1991). She died of kidney cancer, and is buried in the grounds of the family home, Broadlands; see Leonora Children's Cancer Fund.
Styles of address
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 8 October 1947 – 27 August 1979: The Honourable Norton Knatchbull
- 27 August 1979 – 23 September 2005: Lord Romsey
- 23 September 2005 – 13 June 2017: The Right Honourable The Lord Brabourne
- 13 June 2017 – present: The Right Honourable The Earl Mountbatten of Burma[a]
- Although The Earl Mountbatten is a baronet, by custom the post-nominal of "Bt" is omitted, as Peers of the Realm do not list subsidiary hereditary titles.
- "Norton Louis Philip Knatchbull, 8th Baron Brabourne of Brabourne". The Peerage. 4 February 2011.
- "CBSi". FindArticles.com. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- Prince Charles’s godson gets engaged to a professional mermaid - website of the British newspaper Metro
- Marlene A. Eilers, Queen Victoria's Descendants (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987), page 184.
- "The Mountbattens". Broadlands.net. Archived from the original on 18 February 2010.
- "In memory and tribute to Admiral of the Fleet The Rt. Hon. The 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma". Mountbattenofburma.com. Archived from the original on 30 April 2017. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- "Classiebawn and the Assassination of Lord Mountbatten at Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo; History, Heritage, Irish Folklore, and News from County Sligo, Ireland". Sligoheritage.com. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
|Lines of succession|
| Line of succession to the British throne
descended from Alice, daughter of Victoria
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Baron Brabourne
| Earl Mountbatten of Burma|
Viscount Mountbatten of Burma