Nostrand Avenue (IRT Eastern Parkway Line)
|New York City Subway station (rapid transit)|
|Address||Nostrand Avenue & Eastern Parkway|
Brooklyn, NY 11216
|Line||IRT Eastern Parkway Line|
|Services||2 (limited weekday rush hour service in the peak direction) |
3 (all except late nights)
4 (late nights)
5 (one weekday a.m. rush hour trip in the northbound direction only)
|Transit connections||NYCT Bus: B44|
|Platforms||2 side platforms (1 on each level)|
|Tracks||4 (2 on each level)|
|Opened||August 23, 1920|
|Passengers (2017)||1,295,175 4.7%|
|Rank||237 out of 425|
|Next north||Franklin Avenue: 2 3 4 5|
|Next south||Kingston Avenue: 2 3 4|
Nostrand Avenue is a local station on the IRT Eastern Parkway Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of Nostrand Avenue and Eastern Parkway in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, it is served by the 3 train at all times except late night, when the 4 train takes over service. There is also limited weekday rush hour 2 train service here in the peak direction, as well a single northbound 5 train during the morning peak.
On August 23, 1920, the Eastern Parkway Line was extended from Atlantic Avenue to Utica Avenue, with the Nostrand Avenue station opening at this time. The new trains would be served by trains from Seventh Avenue.
During the 1964–1965 fiscal year, the platforms at Nostrand Avenue, along with those at four other stations on the Eastern Parkway Line, were lengthened to 525 feet to accommodate a ten-car train of 51-foot IRT cars.
|B1||Southbound express||does not stop here →|
|Southbound local||( nights) toward New Lots Avenue (Kingston Avenue) →|
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Mezzanine||Fare control, station agent, MetroCard machines|
|B2||Northbound express||← does not stop here|
|Northbound local||← toward Harlem–148th Street ( toward Woodlawn nights) (Franklin Avenue)|
|Side platform, doors will open on the left|
This underground station has two levels. The upper level serves New Lots Avenue-bound trains while the lower level serves Manhattan-bound trains. From north to south, each level has an express track, a local track, and one side platform.
Both platforms have their original Dual Contracts-era IRT trim line and name tablets. The trim line has a tan-yellow center, brown border, and a spec of blue in-between. "N" tablets on a blue background and brown border run along the trim line at regular intervals. The name tablets read "NOSTRAND AVE." in Times New Roman font in gold lettering on a blue and brown background, a gold center, and brown border.
The platforms were extended at either ends in 1964–1965 to accommodate the current standard IRT train length of 510 feet. Here, they have signs reading "NOSTRAND AVE" in white sans serif lettering on a brown border. The center of the platforms has green I-beam columns at regular intervals with alternating ones having the standard black station name plate in white lettering.
West of this station (railroad north), the perpendicular IRT Nostrand Avenue Line merges with the IRT Eastern Parkway Line at the Rogers Avenue Junction. President Street on that line is two blocks to the south.
The upper level has one fare control at the center with two staircases going down to the lower level. It has a turnstile bank, token booth, and two staircases going up to the south side mall of Eastern Parkway (between the main and service roads) and Nostrand Avenue.
|Exit location||Exit type||Number of exits||Platform served|
|Eastern Parkway, south side mall
SW corner of Eastern Parkway and Nostrand Avenue
|Eastern Parkway, south side mall
SE corner of Eastern Parkway and Nostrand Avenue
- "Station Developers' Information". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- "NYC Subway Wireless – Active Stations". Transit Wireless Wifi. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership 2012–2017". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. July 12, 2018. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- "Brooklyn Tube Extensions Open: I.R.T. Begins Service on Eastern Parkway and Nostrand Avenue Lines" (PDF). New York Times. August 23, 1920. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- Annual Report 1964–1965. New York City Transit Authority. 1965.
- "NYC DoT Maps: Nostrand Av (3)" (PDF). mta.info. New York City Department of Transportation. 2016. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nostrand Avenue (IRT Eastern Parkway Line).|
- nycsubway.org – Brooklyn IRT: Nostrand Avenue
- Brooklyn IRT: Map 2, Brooklyn IRT Dual Contracts (includes current and former track configurations, and provisions for future connections)
- Station Reporter — 3 Train
- The Subway Nut — Nostrand Avenue Pictures
- Nostrand Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Platform from Google Maps Street View