Notre Dame Catholic High School (Connecticut)
|Notre Dame Catholic High School|
220 Jefferson Street
|Motto||Be Imitators of Christ|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School district||Diocese of Bridgeport|
|President||Rev. William Sangiovanni|
|Chaplain||Fr. Peter Cipriani|
|Color(s)||Navy blue and gold|
|Athletics conference||South West Conference|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Dean of Students||Kevin Philipp|
|Assistant Dean of Students||Jennifer Casceillo|
|Director of Guidance||Susan McGowan|
|Athletic Director||Rob Bleggi|
|Director of Advancement||Theresa Marzik|
Notre Dame Catholic High School was founded in 1955 by the Most Reverend Lawrence Shehan, whose belief was that "The future of our country depends on our youth. To provide them with sound religious and moral training is a major concern of all of us."
In 1956, the first classes of Notre Dame were held at Our Lady of Assumption school in Fairfield while the building was being completed. It opened in September 1957 with a freshman and sophomore class of 1000 students.
In 1964, the school and property of Notre Dame became Sacred Heart University. Two new high schools were established: Notre Dame Girls' in Bridgeport and Notre Dame Boys' in Fairfield. The schools continued to be staffed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at the girls' school, the Holy Cross Fathers at the boys school, and an increasing number of laity.
In 1973, the two schools were merged into the present Notre Dame Catholic High School, a co-educational institution open to all levels of academic ability and religious background.