Olé Olé Olé!: A Trip Across Latin America
|Olé Olé Olé!: A Trip Across Latin America|
Official film poster
|Directed by||Paul Dugdale|
|Produced by||Mick Jagger|
|Music by||The Rolling Stones|
|Edited by||Richard Denbigh (assistant editor)|
Richard Dudley (on-line editor)
Thomas Faulkner (edit assistant)
Peter Lynch (colorist)
|Distributed by||Eagle Rock Entertainment|
Olé Olé Olé!: A Trip Across Latin America is a documentary produced by The Rolling Stones that documents their Latin America tour in 2016. Olé premiered on 16 September 2016 at the Toronto International Film Festival. The initial trailer for the film was uploaded on the band's official YouTube channel 7 September 2016, with a United States trailer released 10 November 2016.
Ole - part concert film and part travelogue - records the latest historic moment in the career of the band, following the Stones throughout their Latin America tour before culminating in Havana. Two songs from the Havana concert, which would come to be the subject of the Stones concert film Havana Moon, were played in their entirety. The film is provided with a natural throughline by the saga which went into making the concert possible.
The film also focuses largely on the Stones' time in Argentina - a place where Stones fans comprise a "Deadhead-esque urban tribe of hardcore devotees and Stones-inspired bands called “rolingas”. The subculture of the rollingas was born out of ban on English music imposed by the previous military dictatorship. The film also contains interviews with partying and busking " lips-and-tongue-clad rockers" during their time in Buenos Aires. Ole captures the frenzy generated by the band as their motorcade travels to a venue, which reminds viewers of the early days of the band being pursued by screaming fans - although Variety notes that the "screaming girls" have been replaced by older men.
After the band's motorcade passes the group gathered along the streets, a cameraman captures an Argentinian man weeping at the side of the road, to which the man's wife explains “He just saw Mick.”
Olé premiered on 16 September 2016 at the Toronto International Film Festival. The television premiere of the film was on 14 October 2016 on the Canadian subscription service, CraveTV. It was later broadcast at an unknown date on CTV and on 15 January 2017 it was broadcast on Starz in the United States.
Rolling Stone magazine praised the film, stating that "there's a lot to recommend". The New York Times stated that the film was "less a concert film or travelogue than a historical account" that was "swiftly, smartly assembled, reflecting events only six months old". Variety complimented the film, stating that it was "expertly shot" and commenting that the filmmakers "clearly had no shortage of resources". Variety also found the segment of the film which takes place in Argentina (a main focal point) to be of interest.
- "Olé documentary to debut at TIFF | The Rolling Stones". www.rollingstones.com. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé! : A Trip Across Latin America". TIFF. Archived from the original on 2017-04-04. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- The Rolling Stones (2016-09-07), Olé Olé Olé: A Trip Across Latin America (Trailer), retrieved 2017-05-02
- The Rolling Stones (2016-11-10), The Rolling Stones ¡Olé, Olé, Olé! A Trip Across Latin America (US Trailer), retrieved 2017-05-02
- "¡Olé, Olé, Olé! A Trip Across Latin America | The Rolling Stones". www.rollingstones.com. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "CraveTV acquires Rolling Stones documentary | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- Barker, Andrew (2016-09-12). "Toronto Film Review: 'The Rolling Stones Olé Olé Olé!: A Trip Across Latin America'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "CraveTV Gets Exclusive Rights to Feature Film The Rolling Stones Ole Ole Ole: A Trip Across Latin America". Wifi Hifi Magazine. 2016-09-16. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- Desk, TV News. "Starz to Air Documentary THE ROLLING STONES OLE! OLE! OLE!: A TRIP ACROSS LATIN AMERICA". Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "New Rolling Stones Doc Captures Band's Historic Havana Show". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- Gold, Daniel M. (2016-09-29). "Review: 'The Rolling Stones Olé, Olé, Olé!' Captures Tour Euphoria in Latin America". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-06-13.