Old City Hall (Philadelphia)
Old City Hall
|Location||Chestnut Street at 5th Street|
|Architect||David Evans, Jr.|
|Part of||Independence National Historical Park (#66000683)|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
Old City Hall located at Chestnut Street at 5th Street in the Independence Hall complex of Independence National Historical Park in Center City, Philadelphia, was built in 1790–91 in the Federal style. The architect was David Evans, Jr.
Although originally intended as Philadelphia's City Hall, it served as the home of the U.S. Supreme Court from the completion of its construction in 1791 until 1800, when the national capital was moved to Washington, D.C. Three chief justices, John Jay (Jay Court), John Rutledge (Rutledge Court), and Oliver Ellsworth (Ellsworth Court), officiated the Supreme Court from this location.
Afterward, the building continued to serve as Philadelphia's City Hall until 1854. It is a contributing property to Independence National Historical Park. The owner is the City of Philadelphia, which leases the building to the National Park Service.
- Gallery, John Andrew, ed. (2004), Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.), Philadelphia: Foundation for Architecture, ISBN 0962290815, pp. 30−31
- Teitelman, Edward & Longstreth, Richard W. (1981), Architecture in Philadelphia: A Guide, Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, ISBN 0262700212, p. 30
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Independence Hall (at "Independence Hall's History"). World Heritage Sites official webpage. World Heritage Committee. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- Media related to Old City Hall-Supreme Court at Wikimedia Commons
- Old City Hall - Independence National Historical Park (Official Website)
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. PA-1432, "Philadelphia City Hall", 6 photos, 1 color transparency, 2 measured drawings, 5 data pages, 2 photo caption pages, supplemental material