Old Town Hall, Richmond
The Old Town Hall, Richmond on Whittaker Avenue in Richmond, London is a municipal building which from 1893 to 1965 was the town hall for the Municipal Borough of Richmond. When the municipal boroughs of Richmond, Twickenham and Barnes were combined in 1965 to form the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, York House in Twickenham became the seat of government for the new borough. Although some of the building's ground floor has been leased to the retail sector, Richmond's former town hall was retained for municipal use and now contains the borough's reference library, its local studies collection, the Museum of Richmond, an art gallery (the Riverside Gallery) and meeting rooms.
The building, which was opened in 1893 by the Duke of York (later to become King George V), occupies the site of the former Castle Hotel in Richmond, which was purchased by Sir John Whittaker Ellis, the local Member of Parliament, and donated by him in 1888 to Richmond's vestry (which performed local government functions until the Municipal Borough of Richmond was created in 1890).
The town hall was designed by W J Ancell in "Elizabethan Renaissance" style. It was severely damaged by a fire-bomb on 29 November 1940 but, after restoration, was reopened by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 1952.
The town hall's clock was made by the Leeds firm Messrs Potts & Sons.