The Olomana arrived in the Kingdom of Hawaii in August 1883, after a two-month journey sailing around Cape Horn. It was owned by the Waimanalo Sugar Company on the island of Oahu, and hauled sugar cane from the fields to the refinery. The Olomana was operated by a lone engineer and ran at an average speed of 5 miles per hour (8.0 km/h) on sets of prefabricated, 3 ft (914 mm) gauge railroad tracks that could be taken apart and reassembled at a different location. Originally burning coal, the Olomana was converted to run on oil in 1928. Dried cane was tried, but it left hard-to-remove residue inside the engine. The Olomana and two similar locomotives were replaced by trucks and retired in 1944.