The main Omallur mansion
|• Total||14.54 km2 (5.61 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Various sections of Christianity and Hinduism co-exist , the Ezhavas, Nairs, Viswakarmas, Veerashaivas and the Scheduled Class & Tribes constitute the major sections of the Hindu religion. Followers of Christianity Orthodox church, Jacobite Church, Marthoma Church,Malankara Catholic Church, St. Thomas Evangelical Church, Church of South India, Pentecostal Churches, and Brethren form major Christian sects.
Temple festivals -Utsavam and Church feasts (Palliperunal) are celebrated as village festivals. There are many historically important places of worship in Omalloor. The Rektha Kanda Swamy Temple is a grand temple situated in Omalloor and is famous for the annual festival (utsavam). The very old St. Thomas Orthodox Valiya Palli (church) is also another major place of worship for Christians. Manjanikkara Dayara is famous for its pilgrimage importance. Every year thousands of pilgrims come by foot to the tomb of Holy Patriarch Ignatius Elias III at Manjanikkara. Mathoor Kaavu Bhagavathi Temple, situated on the banks of Achenkovil river, is a famous Hindu temple. The River Achankovil marks the eastern border of the Omalloor Panchayat. The Thazhoor Bhagavati Temple, famous for the annual Padayani rituals during the Malayalam month of Kumbham is located on the banks of the River Achankovil.
Government Higher Secondary School Omalloor is the first educational institute that was set up in the omalloor. GHSS Omallor was founded in 1805. Also Arya Bharathi High School is also a much older school in the omalloor Village. Aaarsha Vidyalaya is a prominent school in Omallur with classes from pre-KG to 7th grade.
Like many other communities in central Kerala, Omallur has a relatively high proportion of working age adults. Non-resident Indians (NRIs) amount to 35% of cash flow . There are a number of small family-owned retail shops, and some rubber plantations.
- Father V. C. Samuel - President World Council of Churches
- Omalloor Chellamma - Malayalam drama and cine actress of 1950's. See Premalekha
- Omalloor Prathapachandran - Malayalam film actor
- Captain Raju - Malayalam film actor
- Chippy - Malayalam Film actress
- Mr. Mariamma
- Mathew the Mervyn- a legendary human described in the legends of Omallur as its creator.
- "Omalloor at a glance". Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Census Of India - Omalloor Population". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "The Hindu : `Vayal Vanibham' from March 14". www.thehindu.com.
- "Ghss, Omalloor School, Pathanamthitta - Admissions, Fees, Address, Reviews 2019". iCBSE.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Omallur.|