|Online goods and services|
An online grocer is either a brick-and-mortar supermarket or grocery store that allows online ordering, or a standalone e-commerce service that includes grocery items. There is usually a delivery charge for this service. Online grocery delivery services are available throughout Europe, Asia and North America, mostly in urban centres. The online ordering is done through e-commerce websites or mobile apps.
For brick-and-mortar stores that have online ordering, customers can place orders online and picking up their ready orders in the store on their way home. In-store pickup is typically offered for same-day shopping; it is usually less expensive than delivery, and can be done at a time of the customer's choosing. This option is popular in rural areas. It is also useful for customers living outside of the store's local delivery area.
Most local online grocers have their own drivers. The most common type of personal delivery involves storing grocery inventory in a warehouse to deliver to customers once orders are placed. Another type of personal delivery which is less common is based on just-in-time business in which there is no warehouse or inventory. In this type of delivery, customers place orders for next-day delivery. The online grocer shops for the groceries on the morning of the delivery day.
Online grocers with a large regional or national delivery area may ship groceries using courier services. If the order contains cold or frozen items, this involves "flash freezing" the goods and pack them into special shipping containers.
Companies have experimented with automated delivery modes including drone delivery and robots. For instance, in Fall 2016 Washingthon D.C. approved a trial run of rolling delivery drones produced by Starship Technologies. The earthbound robots are similar to wheeled coolers and carry around 40 pounds of groceries .
The online grocer technology platform could be developed in-house, or a third party's platform could be re-used and customized to reflect the company brand and provide unique features. In some cases, all management and support tasks are being outsourced to the platform provider.
The value of the US online grocery market has grown from $12 billion in 2016 to $26 billion in 2018 and it has plenty of room to grow, given that the size of the overall grocery market was $632 billion in 2018 according to IBISWorld.
- http://www.padgadget.com/2011/01/11/peapod-brings-online-grocery-shopping-service-to-ipad/, Peapod Brings Online Grocery Shopping Service to iPad, Pad Gadget, January 11, 2011, Retrieved February 1, 2011.
- http://www.logisticsmanager.com/Articles/15470/Online+grocer+heads+towards+profit+.html, Online grocer heads towards profit Published: 01 February 2011 03:51 PM, Retrieved February 1, 2011.
- Etherington, Darrell. "Grocery deliveries via rolling drone will kick off in Washington, D.C. this fall". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Amazon led the US in online grocery in 2017
- Magana. "THE ONLINE GROCERY REPORT: The market, drivers, key players, and opportunities in a rising segment of e-commerce". businessinsider. Magana.