Ontario Highway 114
Highway 114 Limited-access King's Highway Former highways
|Maintained by Essex County|
|Length||1.8 km (1.1 mi)|
|Existed||1925 (as Highway 2)|
1954–1970 (as Highway 114)
|South end||Highway 3 – Maidstone|
|North end||Essex County Road 46|
King's Highway 114, commonly referred to as Highway 114, was a provincially maintained highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. It was one of the shortest highways ever assigned in the province, at just 1.8 kilometres (1.1 mi) in length. The highway has been through numerous re-numberings throughout its history, finally being transferred to local authority in mid-1970.
The former route of Highway 114, now known as Malden Road, is no longer maintained by the province nor by Essex County; it is a local road maintained by the Town of Tecumseh and the Town of Lakeshore. It is a narrow semi-rural township road. Though fully paved and with houses along much of its path, it is relatively lightly travelled. Between Manning Road and County Road 46, it is still signed as "HWY 114", though it was decommissioned in 1970.
The route begins in the south at former Highway 3 (Talbot Road), just north of the current alignment of that highway. It proceeds northeast through Maidstone, flanked by houses on both sides. Approaching Manning Road (Essex County Road 19), the route briefly passes through farmland. Just northeast of the intersection with Manning Road, the route ends at Middle Road (Essex County Road 46), formerly Highway 98. At 1.8 kilometres (1.1 mi), it was one of the shortest King's Highways ever assigned by the province.
Highway 114's routing started off as part of Highway 2. In 1929, there was a great renumbering in the area because the Ambassador Bridge opened. Highway 2 was rerouted along a different path just to the north, along North Talbot Road and Provincial Road (along what would become Highway 98). Malden Road was re-designated as Highway 2A until 1931, when the predecessor to Highway 98 received that numbering, and this road received the designation of Highway 3B (unrelated to Dougall Avenue's designation of 3B). This remained until 1938, when it was re-designated as Highway 98A, a spur of the newly created Highway 98.
By 1954, this road became an independent non-spur road in its own right, and received the numbering of Highway 114. It remained this way until it was deleted in 1970.
To simplify things, the following designations for Highway 114 are listed below:
- Highway 2 (1925–1929)
- Highway 2A (1929–1931)
- Highway 3B (Maidstone) (1931–1938)
- Highway 98A (Maidstone) (1938–1953)
- Highway 114 (Maidstone) (1954–1970)
|Maidstone||0.0||0.0||County Road 34 (Talbot Road)||Routing of Highway 3 in 1970|
|1.4||0.87||County Road 19 (Manning Road)|
|1.8||1.1||County Road 34 (Middle Road)||Highway 98 in 1970|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (April 1, 1989). Provincial Highways Distance Table. Government of Ontario. ISSN 0825-5350.
- Mapart (2010). Ontario Back Road Atlas (Map). Peter Heiler Ltd. p. 4. § C3. ISBN 978-1-55198-226-7.
- Google (February 15, 2014). "Former Highway 114 - length and route" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Google (August 29, 2011). "Highway 114 length and route" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 29, 2011.