Ontario Highway 510
|Maintained by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario|
|Length||2.8 km (1.7 mi)|
|South end||Highway 520 in Magnetawan|
|North end||Highway 124 – Parry Sound, Sundridge|
Secondary Highway 510, commonly referred to as Highway 510, is a provincially maintained highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. The highway is 2.4 kilometres (1.5 mi) in length, connecting Highway 520 in Magnetawan with Highway 124. It was established in 1956, along with most of the secondary highway system in the province, and is little changed since then.
Highway 510 is a short secondary highway in Parry Sound District which follows the Nipissing Colonization Road north from the village of Magnetawan to Highway 124. It is very lightly travelled, with an average of 120 vehicles travelling it per day in 2007.
At its southern end the highway meets Highway 520, which also connects with Highway 124 to the northwest. It curves north between exposed rock formations and is promptly surrounded by forests. The undulating highway curves several times as it passes by the occasional residence or summer cottage. The route curves northeast to avoid a large muskeg. It curves northwest around the muskeg as Arrow Drive, an old alignment of the highway, diverges to the west. After passing back into the forest, it curves to the north. The route passes several grass fields and houses before ending at an intersection with Highway 124, 64 kilometres (40 mi) east of Parry Sound and 23 kilometres (14 mi) west of Sundridge. The old Nipissing Colonization Road continues north.
Highway 510 is one of several dozen secondary highways designated at the beginning of 1956. The highway is little changed since it was designated, and was unaffected by highway downloading in the late-1990s.
The following table lists the major junctions along Highway 510. The entirety of the highway is in Parry Sound District.
|Magnetawan||0.0||Highway 520 – Burk's Falls|
|2.4||Highway 124 – Parry Sound, Sundridge|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Ontario Road Map (Map). Cartography by C.P. Robins. Ontario Department of Highways. 1956. § O33.
- "Ontario Secondary Roads Now Designated 500, 600". 112 (33, 119). The Globe and Mail. February 4, 1956. p. 4.
Two new Ontario road numbers appear on the province's 1956 official road map which will be ready for distribution next week. The new numbers are the 500 and 600 series and designate hundreds of miles of secondary roads which are wholly maintained by the Highways Department. More than 100 secondary roads will have their own numbers and signs this year. All of these secondary roads were taken into the province's main highways system because they form important connecting links with the King's Highways
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (2007). "Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) counts". Government of Ontario. Retrieved March 13, 2011.
- Ontario Back Road Atlas (Map). Cartography by MapArt. Peter Heiler. 2010. p. 76. § M30. ISBN 978-1-55198-226-7.