Ontario Highway 536
|Maintained by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, Ontario|
|Length||5.4 km (3.4 mi)|
|South end||Highway 17|
|North end||Creighton Mine|
Secondary Highway 536, commonly referred to as Highway 536, was a provincially maintained secondary highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. This highway connected Highway 17 near Lively with Wellington Street at the Creighton Mine. Highway 536 followed most of what is now Municipal Road 24, north from Greater Sudbury Road 55 (Old Highway 17). The route existed from 1956 until the formation of the Regional Municipality of Sudbury in 1973.
Highway 536 followed what is now Sudbury Municipal Road 24, travelling north from Highway 17 (now Sudbury Municipal Road 55) near Lively to the mines in Creighton. Highway 536 travelled north from Highway 17, passing through the community of Lively, where it was known as Main Street. As it left Lively, it began making a very gradual curve towards the northeast, passing through Dogpatch and skirting the southern edge of the Creighton Mine. It eventually curved east briefly before making a quick 90 degree curve north into the mining town of Creighton. This curve was located at the modern interection with Wellington Street, and was replaced with an intersection with Highway 144 upon the completion of the Northwest Bypass in the mid-1980s.
The route of Highway 536 was first assumed by the Department of Highways in early 1956, along with several dozen other secondary highways. It remained unchanged until the formation of the Regional Municipality of Sudbury on January 1, 1973. That year, the route was transferred to the region and decommissioned as a provincial highway.
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "Ontario Secondary Roads Now Designated 500, 600". 112 (33, 119). The Globe and Mail. February 4, 1956. p. 4.
Two new Ontario road numbers appear on the province's 1956 official road map which will be ready for distribution next week. The new numbers are the 500 and 600 series and designate hundreds of miles of secondary roads which are wholly maintained by the Highways Department. More than 100 secondary roads will have their own numbers and signs this year. All of these secondary roads were taken into the province's main highways system because they form important connecting links with the King's Highways
- Ontario Road Map (Map). Cartography by C.P. Robins. Ontario Department of Highways. 1956. § O30.
- Google (August 14, 2014). "Approximate route of former Highway 536" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- Ontario Road Map (Map). Cartography by Cartography Section. Ministry of Transportation and Communications. 1974. § B20.
- Ontario Official Road Map (Map). Ontario Department of Highways. 1969. § M20.
- Ontario Road Map (Map). Cartography by Cartography Section. Ministry of Transportation and Communications. 1973. § B20.
- "Highway 144 New - Sudbury North-west Bypass". Northern Transportation Construction Projects 1986-87 (Report). Ministry of Northern Development and Mines. April 1, 1986. p. VII. ISSN 0822-1480.
- https://zone.biblio.laurentian.ca/dspace/bitstream/10219/288/1/Saarinen%20Ontario%20History%201990.pdf p 65