Ontario Highway 606
|Maintained by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications|
|Length||1.5 km (0.9 mi)|
|South end||Highway 17 – Greater Sudbury, North Bay|
|North end||Pioneer Street in Markstay, Ontario|
Secondary Highway 606, commonly referred to as Highway 606, was a provincially maintained secondary highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. This short spur connected Highway 17 with the community of Markstay and was only 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) long. Highway 606 was located entirely within what is now the Municipality of Markstay-Warren in Sudbury District.
The route was established, along with many other secondary highways, in 1956 and existed until c. 1973, when many other nearby secondary highways were transferred to the newly formed Regional Municipality of Sudbury, now Greater Sudbury. It is unknown why this route was removed despite not being within the region. Today, the route of Highway 606 is maintained by the Municipality of Markstay-Warren and known as Main Street.
Highway 606 was a short 1.5-kilometre-long (0.93 mi) spur off Highway 17 to the nearby village of Markstay. It began at the Trans-Canada Highway, south of which a local road now known as Nepewassi Lake Road continued. Travelling north through thick forests, the route curved several times before crossing the Veuve River and the Ottawa Valley Railway. It was straight north of there as it entered into the village of Markstay, with houses on both sides of the road. Highway 606 ended at the main crossroad at Pioneer Street.
Highway 606 was first assumed by the Department of Highways in 1956, along with several dozen other secondary highways. It likely existed as a township road before then. The route remained unchanged from then until 1973, when many other secondary highways within the newly created Regional Municipality of Sudbury were decommissioned. Though it did not fall within the new region, it was decommissioned at the same time as the others.
|Markstay-Warren||0.0||0.0||Highway 17 – Sudbury, North Bay||Roadway continues south as Nepewassi Lake Road|
|Markstay||1.5||0.93||Pioneer Street||Roadway continues north as Main Street North|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "Ontario Secondary Roads Now Designated 500, 600". 112 (33, 119). The Globe and Mail. February 4, 1956. p. 4.
Two new Ontario road numbers appear on the province's 1956 official road map which will be ready for distribution next week. The new numbers are the 500 and 600 series and designate hundreds of miles of secondary roads which are wholly maintained by the Highways Department. More than 100 secondary roads will have their own numbers and signs this year. All of these secondary roads were taken into the province's main highways system because they form important connecting links with the King's Highways
- Ontario Road Map (Map). Cartography by C.P. Robins. Ontario Department of Highways. 1956. § N31.
- Google (March 29, 2015). "Route of Highway 606" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Official Road Map (Map). Cartography by Photogrammetry Office. Ministry of Transportation and Communications. 1973. § B21.
- Official Road Map (Map). Cartography by Cartography Section. Ministry of Transportation and Communications. 1974. § B21.
- Ontario Back Road Atlas (Map). Cartography by MapArt. Peter Heiler. 2010. p. 101. § C23. ISBN 978-1-55198-226-7.