Ontario Highway 62
|Maintained by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario|
|Length||165.8 km (103.0 mi)|
|Existed||August 11, 1937–present|
|South end||Highway 33 in Bloomfield|
| Highway 401 in Belleville|
Highway 7 in Madoc
Highway 28 in Bancroft
|North end||Highway 127 at Maynooth|
King's Highway 62, commonly referred to as Highway 62, is a provincially maintained highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. The highway travels south-north from Highway 33 at Bloomfield in Prince Edward County, through Belleville, Madoc and Bancroft, to Maynooth, where it ends at a junction with Highway 127.
Prior to 1998, the road extended north and east of Maynooth through Barry's Bay, and ended in Pembroke. This section highway was redesignated Hastings County Road 62, Renfrew County Road 62, and Renfrew County Road 58. The concurrency with Highway 60 from Barry's Bay to Renfrew County Road 512 outside Killaloe was removed after downloading (moving provincial cost/responsibilities to the municipal level). The section between Foxboro to Bloomfield was previously part of Highway 14.
Highway 62 begins in the community of Bloomfield at a junction with Highway 33, the Loyalist Parkway. From there it winds north through the communities of Huffs Corners, Crofton, Mountain View and Fenwood Gardens before crossing the Norris Whitney Bridge over the Bay of Quinte into Belleville. Immediately south of Mountain View, the highway skirts the CFD Mountain View military base. Within urbanized Belleville, Highway 62 serves as the primary north–south route. The highway interchanges with Highway 401 at Exit 543 and exits the urban section of Belleville. From here, the highway continues straight north until its path is interrupted by the Moira River, immediately south of Foxboro, which the highway bypasses to the west. The former route of the highway through the town is now known as Ashley Street. The highway continues along the bypass of Foxboro, merging back onto the Madoc Colonization Road at Halloway. It follows this colonization road north to Highway 7 in Madoc, passing through a mixture of farmland and shrubbery; the occasional forest interrupts the shorter vegetation, as well as the community of Crookston. Immediately. North of Madoc, the highway follows the Hastings Colonization Road.
Highway 62 was first assumed by the Department of Highways (DHO) in 1937. On April 1 of that year, the DHO merged with the Department of Northern Development. Following the merger, many new highways through central and northern Ontario were designated. One of these was the Madoc–Pembroke Road, which became Highway 62 on August 11, 1937. Originally, the route followed the Hastings Colonization Road, which was quickly determined to be too rough to upgrade. A new alignment, apparently named the Faulkner Highway, was constructed to the east between Millhaven and L'Amable in the late 1930s. This bypass was opened to traffic on March 22, 1939. Subsequently, the bypassed portion of the highway was decommissioned on April 11.
At the time of its assumption, Highway 62 was split into two segments. The first section travelled from Madoc to Barry's Bay, the second from Pembroke to the community of Bonnechere, on the northwestern shore of Round Lake. It was originally planned to unite these segments by building a new highway mostly following the route of Paugh Lake Road. This section was never built, and so Highway 62 remained separated for a quarter century.
The Norris Whitney Bridge over the Bay of Quinte was opened in December 1982, replacing the original 1891 swing bridge. Portions of the original causeway can still be seen alongside the current structure. Discussions are underway to build a second bridge, widening the highway from two to four lanes.
Portions of Highway 62 were transferred to local jurisdictions in 1997 and 1998. On April 1, 1997, the section from the Laurentian Valley – Killaloe, Hagarty and Richards boundary east to Highway 17 was transferred to Renfrew County. On January 1, 1998, the section northeast of Highway 127 in Maynooth was transferred to Hastings and Renfrew counties. The concurrency with Highway 60 was discontinued as a result of this transfer. Hastings County subsequently transferred its portion of the road to the townships of Monteagle and Bangor, Wicklow and McClure on April 15, 1998.
|Prince Edward County||0.0||0.0||Highway 33 east (Loyalist Parkway) – Picton, Kingston|
|5.3||3.3||County Road 1 (Scoharie Road)|
|8.4||5.2||County Road 4 – Gilbert Mills|
|12.4||7.7||County Road 14 (Burr Road) – Demorestville|
|24.8||15.4||County Road 28 – Rossmore|
|25.8||16.0||County Road 3 – Rossmore|
|Hastings||Belleville||26.9||16.7||Beginning of Belleville Connecting Link agreement|
|32.2||20.0||Highway 401 – Toronto, Kingston||End of Belleville Connecting Link agreement|
|Foxboro||36.7||22.8||Ashley Street||Original route of Highway 14|
|Lennox and Addington||38.8||24.1||County Road 5 (Frankford Road) – Frankford|
|40.1||24.9||County Road 14 (Foxboro–Stirling Road) – Stirling||Formerly Highway 14|
|Hastings||West Huntingdon Station||50.9||31.6||County Road 8 (Stirling Road (west) / Moira Road (east)) – Moira|
|Crookston||61.3||38.1||County Road 38 (Crookston Road) – Campbellford, Tweed|
|Madoc||68.5||42.6||Shoreline Road||Beginning of Madoc Connecting Link agreement|
|71.2||44.2||Highway 7 – Peterborough, Perth||End of Madoc Connecting Link agreement|
|Bannockburn||87.2||54.2||Bannockburn Road – Cooper|
|Millbridge||Old Hastings Road||Original route of Highway 62; Hastings Colonization Road|
|Limerick||119.3||74.1||County Road 620 (Coe Hill Road) – Ormsby|
|L'Amable||134.1||83.3||Bay Lake Road / Detlor Road – Detlor|
|Bancroft||139.6||86.7||Beginning of Bancroft Connecting Link agreement|
|Highway 28 – Lakefield|
|147.4||91.6||End of Bancroft Connecting Link agreement|
|Hastings Highlands||154.0||95.7||Hybla Road – Hybla|
|Maynooth||165.8||103.0||Highway 127 – Whitney|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "Appendix 3 - Schedule of Assumptions and Reversions of Sections". Annual Report (Report). Department of Highways. March 31, 1938. pp. 80–81.
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (2008). "Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT) counts". Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- Ontario Back Road Atlas (Map). Cartography by MapArt. Peter Heiler. 2010. p. 34–35, 46, 62. § S45–G50. ISBN 978-1-55198-226-7.
- Shragge, John; Bagnato, Sharon (1984). From Footpaths to Freeways. Ontario Ministry of Transportation and Communications, Historical Committee. p. 71. ISBN 0-7743-9388-2.
- The Economic Base in Northern Hastings County. The Canadian Geographer Issues 8–17. The Canadian Association of Geographers. p. 31. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- "Appendix 3 - Schedule of Assumptions and Reversions of Sections". Annual Report (Report). Department of Highways. March 31, 1939. p. 84.
- "Appendix 3 - Schedule of Assumptions and Reversions of Sections". Annual Report (Report). Department of Highways. March 31, 1940. p. 93.
- Ontario Road Map (Map). Cartography by C.P. Robins. Ontario Department of Highways. 1938–39. § O3–P5.
- "Bay of Quinte Bridges". Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County. Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- Thomas, Mary (11 December 2017). "Second Norris Whitney Bridge Coming". Quinte News. Quinte Broadcasting Company Ltd. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- Highway Transfers List (Report). Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. April 1, 1997. p. 7.
- Highway Transfers List - "Who Does What" (Report). Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. June 20, 2001. pp. 6, 13.