The District headquarters Tansen.
|• Type||Coordination committee|
|• Body||DCC, Pālpā|
|• Total||1,373 km2 (530 sq mi)|
|• Density||190/km2 (490/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:45 (NPT)|
Palpa District (Nepali: पाल्पा जिल्लाListen (help·info), a part of Province No. 5, is one of the seventy-seven districts of Nepal, a landlocked country of South Asia. The district, with Tansen Municipality as its headquarters, covers an area of 1,373 km² and has a population (2011) of 261,180.
Palpa District is not far from Pokhara and easily reached by bus. The ancient hill town of Tansen in this district offers a more tranquil atmosphere where laid back lifestyle is infectious. Walk down the cobbled streets in the old bazaar to discover a way of life. Explore the Shreenagar Hills or do a day hike to the Rani Mahal, once a vibrant palace on the banks of the Kali Gandaki River.Palpa was the seat of the Sen kingdom that ruled over this region from 16th century for almost 300 years so Headquarter of Palpa is called "Tansen" (Nepali: तानसेन)
Geography and Climate
|Climate Zone||Elevation Range||% of Area|
|Lower Tropical||below 300 meters (1,000 ft)||0.3%|
|Upper Tropical||300 to 1,000 meters
1,000 to 3,300 ft.
|Subtropical||1,000 to 2,000 meters
3,300 to 6,600 ft.
Municipalities and VDCs
- Bandi Pokhara
- Bhuwan Pokhari
- Palung Mainadi
- Rampur Municipality
- Tansen Municipality
Major Rivers and Khola
- Barabisse khola
- Dumre khola
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Satyawati Lake (990m above sea level)
- Pravas Lake
- Sita Kunda
Places of Attraction
- Argeli Palace was constructed by Juddha Shamsher and is considered a beautiful palace.
- Forts like Kalika fort, Nuwakot fort, Bakumgadi Fort are historic place of attraction
- Mahamritunjaya Statue of Lord Shiva situated at Barangdi which is the biggest in Asia among metal statue of Lord Shiva
- Rambha Devi Temple is one of the famous and religious place 31 km east of Tansen in Tahu VDC.
- Ramdi is a religious place in the bank of Kali Gandaki River. On 1 Baisakh, there is a festival in this area.
- Ranighat Palace (Ranimahal) is also called Tajmahal of Nepal due to similar stories behind the construction of this palace. It was constructed by General Khadka for her wife Tejkumari in 1893 AD.
- Rishikesh Complex of Ruru Kshetra Hindu pilgrimage and cremation site
- Rishikesh Temple was built by the King Manimukunda Sen. According to Hindu mythology, this is the place where some part of body of Satidevei was cremated. It is famous for festival which occurs in 1st of Magh month when hidus come to take bath in Kali Gandaki River.
- Shrinagar Hill is spot for viewing high Himalayas. Dhawalagiri, Tukuche, Nilgiri, Annapurana,Himchuli and other mountains can be viewed from this place.
- Tansen is a historic city with palaces, temples, stupas and historic architecture.
- Vhairabsthan Temple is a Shiva temple with huge trident, believed to be largest in Asia.
- Madanpokhara is a famous for its vegetable farmings and viewing great Madi Valley.
People have a saying that it looks similar to Nepal in term of its geographical borders.
- "2011 Nepal census (National Report)" (PDF). Central Bureau of Statistics. Government of Nepal. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-05-25. Retrieved November 2012. Check date values in:
- The Map of Potential Vegetation of Nepal - a forestry/agroecological/biodiversity classification system (PDF), Forest & Landscape Development and Environment Series 2-2005 and CFC-TIS Document Series No.110., 2005, ISBN 87-7903-210-9, retrieved Nov 22, 2013
- "Districts of Nepal". Statoids.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palpa District.|
|This Nepalese location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|