|Launched||March 30, 2012 (Spain) |
September 5, 2013 (France)
February 14, 2014 (Hungary)
February 14, 2014 (Russia)
May 28, 2014 (Romania)
November 14, 2014 (Brazil, Latin America)
December 16, 2014 (Sweden)
March 19, 2015 (Poland)
February 2016 (Thailand)
February 27, 2016 (Italy)
April 15, 2017 (MENA)
2017 (Vietnam and Malaysia)
July 4, 2018 (United Kingdom)
June 1, 2019 (Philippines)
|Closed||June 10, 2018|
|Owned by||Viacom International Media Networks|
|Broadcast area||Europe, Latin America, Russia, South East Asia|
|UPC Romania||Channel 111 (HD)|
Channel 188 (SD)
Paramount Channel is the name of several television channels operated by Viacom International Media Networks which showcase the Paramount Pictures film catalogue. The first Paramount Channel was launched in Spain on March 30, 2012, and in the years since, the channel has operated in a number of territories across Europe, Latin America and Asia.
To date, Paramount Channel has launched in Spain in March 2012, France in September 2013, Hungary in February 2014, Russia in February 2014, Romania on May 28, 2014, Latin America in November 2014, Sweden in December 2014 (this channel was closed on June 30, 2017.), Poland in March 2015, Italy and Thailand in February 2016, and in the Middle East in April 2017.
In May 2018, Viacom announced that the Spanish version of the channel would re-launch as Paramount Network (mirroring the rebranding of the U.S. network formerly known as Spike) on 10 June 2018, switching to a general entertainment format with television series and films.. In January 2019 in Sweden and Denmark Paramount Network started broadcasting, replacing Comedy Central. The Italian version of Paramount Channel changed its name on March 16, 2019 into Paramount Network.
The original Paramount Channel in Spain primarily broadcast films from 1980s and 1990s, as well as recent television series. The international versions that followed shared a similar format but never the same programming. For instance, films from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s were broadcast in France, recent TV series and 1990s and 2000s films were broadcast in Italy, and films from the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s were broadcast in Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, the Middle East, Latin America and Southeast Asia. In addition to airing films, some versions in other countries are also airing combat sporting events from mixed martial arts promotion Bellator MMA.
- Barraclough, Leo. "Paramount Channel Reaches Out to Russia, Hungary". Variety. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Paramount Channel". Variety. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Barraclough, Leo (18 February 2014). "Paramount Channel Reaches Out to Russia, Hungary". Variety. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Cerban, Madalina (29 May 2014). "Televiziunea de filme Paramount Channel s-a lansat în România". mediafax.ro (in Romanian). Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- de la Fuente, Anna Marie (10 September 2014). "Paramount to Launch Movie Channel in Latin America". Variety. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Newbould, Chris (11 April 2017). "Paramount Movie Channel launches in the Middle East". thenational.ae. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- Rolfe, Pamela (21 May 2018). "Spain Getting First Paramount Network Outside U.S." The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- Clover, Julian (14 January 2019). "Paramount Network replaces Comedy Central on Canal Digital". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 29 March 2019.