Paterson City Hall
Paterson City Hall
|Location||155 Market Street, Paterson, New Jersey|
|Area||0.6 acres (0.24 ha)|
|Architect||Carrere & Hastings; Vandehoff, Peter, & Son|
|Architectural style||Beaux Arts|
|NRHP reference #||95000232|
|Added to NRHP||March 10, 1995|
Paterson City Hall is located in Paterson, Passaic County, New Jersey, United States. The building is located on a block in Downtown Paterson bordered by Market Street on the north, Colt Street to the east, Ellison Street to the south, and Washington Street to the west.
The building was built in 1896 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 1995. It was designed by the New York firm Carrere and Hastings in 1894, and is modeled after the Hôtel de Ville (city hall) in Lyon, France, capital of the silk industry in Europe. There are three statues of Paterson political figures outside of the Market Street side of building. One, which is adjacent to the corner of Market Street and Washington Street, honors businessman and philanthropist Nathan Barnert, who was elected twice as mayor. Another, which is adjacent to the corner of Market Street and Colt Street, honors physician Andrew McBride, who was elected a total of three times to the office of mayor. The third, centered in between the two and in front of the entrance to the building, honors former Vice President of the United States Garret Hobart, who took residence in Paterson following his graduation from Rutgers College and became one of its most powerful political leaders before his election as William McKinley's first Vice President.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Passaic County, New Jersey
- Mayors of Paterson, New Jersey
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Passaic County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. July 7, 2009. p. 19. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 19, 2011. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|