Paul R. Patton
Paul Robert Patton
|French philosophy, Political philosophy|
Paul Robert Patton (born 1950) is Scientia Professor of Philosophy in the School of History and Philosophy at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, where he has been since 2002. Patton is known for his publications and conference presentations that have brought recognition to Australian Continental political philosophy.
Life and career
Patton received a B.A. and M.A. from the University of Sydney, and, in 1979, received a Doctorat D'Universite from Paris VIII (Vincennes). Before he took up his professorship at University of New South Wales, Patton lectured at the Australian National University, in Canberra, Australia, and the University of Sydney. Patton is a member of the Australasian Association of Philosophy.
Patton has published widely on aspects of 20th-century French philosophy. Including focus on the works of Deleuze, Derrida and Foucault. He edited Volume 7 (Post-Postructuralism) of The History of Continental Philosophy, which was published by Acumen in 2010.
Between 2000 and 2006, Patton appeared in a number of ABC radio broadcasts, including 'The Descent of Man,' on ABC Radio National's Science Show in 2000, 'Deleuze and Democracy' in 2005, and 'Where philosophy gets done' in 2006, both on the show 'The Philosopher's Zone'.
In 1994 and 1997 Patton was a Visiting Fellow at the Humanities Research Centre, at Australian National University. In 2005, he was a Visiting Fellow of the Scots Philosophical Society, at the University of Dundee in Scotland.
- Deleuze and the Political. London: Routledge, 2000.
- Deleuzian Concepts: Philosophy, Colonization, Politics. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2010.
- Between Deleuze and Derrida. Eds. Paul Patton and John Protevi. London: Continuum, 2003.
- Deleuze: A Critical Reader. Ed. Paul Patton. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell, 1996.
- Deleuze and Pragmatism. Eds. Sean Bowden, Simone Bignall, and Paul Patton. London & New York: Routledge, 2014.
- Baudrillard, Jean. The Gulf War Did Not Take Place. Ed. Paul Patton. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1995.
- Deleuze, Gilles. Difference and Repetition. Ed. Paul Patton. New York: Columbia University Press, 1994.