|• Mayor||Lorenc Tosku (PS)|
|• Municipality||197.90 km2 (76.41 sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||17 km2 (7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||48 m (157 ft)|
|• Municipality density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||6,353|
|• Municipal unit density||370/km2 (970/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Peqin (IPA: [pecin], definite Albanian form: Peqini, Turkish: Peklin, in history named Clodiana) is a town and municipality in Elbasan County, central Albania. The municipality was formed at the 2015 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities Gjoçaj, Karinë, Pajovë, Peqin, Përparim and Shezë, that became municipal units. The seat of the municipality is the town Peqin. The total population is 26,136 (2011 census), in a total area of 197.90 km2. The population of the former municipality at the 2011 census was 6,353.
The city dates back 2000 years, it is mentioned as Illyrian fortress. The ancient name of Peqin was Clodiana. The city's modern name derives from the Ottoman form Bekleyin, which means a place of hospitality. During Ottoman rule Peqin belonged to the Sanjak of Elbasan. The Ottoman Peqin Castle still exists, along with some original parts of the mosque of Abdurrahman Pasha, who had been the governor of Wallachia and Moldavia (former Bogdania). This castle was also constructed during the Via Egnatia road being made. On the Via Egnatia road Peqin was another stop on the road and a settlement for soldiers and there were Pashas in the castle. The last remaining resident in the castle was Demir Pasha.
There are buses available at the center of the city which run to many places in and out of Albania.
The football team of Peqin is KS Shkumbini. The team was founded in 1951 and its home ground is Shkumbini Stadium with a capacity of 9,000 spectators. KS Shkumbini currently plays in the Albanian Second Division. KS Shkumbini is famous for its fans, called Besnikët, known as Faithful.
- Mustafa Gjinishi, activist during National Liberation War
- Hekuran Isai, post-World War II communist politician
- Gugash Magani, football player and manager
- Murat Manahasa, veterinary researcher and professor
- Abdurrahman Pasha, former governor of Wallachia and Moldavia within Ottoman Empire
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peqin.|
- Law nr. 115/2014 Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- "Population and housing census - Elbasan 2011" (PDF). INSTAT. Retrieved 2019-09-25.
- "Correspondence table LAU – NUTS 2016, EU-28 and EFTA / available Candidate Countries" (XLS). Eurostat. Retrieved 2019-09-25.
- "Blue Albania - We help you to explore Albania... - Portali me i madh turistik Shqiptar". BlueAlbania. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Presidenti Topi ngushellon familjaret e Profesor Murat Manahases (in Albanian)". news.al. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
|This article about a specific location in Elbasan County, Albania, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|