Permanent Joint Headquarters
|Permanent Joint Headquarters|
|Branch|| Royal Navy|
Royal Air Force
|Part of||Joint Forces Command|
|Vice Admiral Ben Key|
The Permanent Joint Headquarters (PJHQ) is the British tri-service headquarters from where all overseas military operations are planned and controlled. It is situated at Northwood Headquarters in Northwood, London. The Permanent Joint Headquarters is commanded by the Chief of Joint Operations (CJO). The current CJO is Vice Admiral Ben Key.
The Permanent Joint Headquarters was established in April 1996 to enhance the operational effectiveness and efficiency of UK-led joint, potentially joint and multi-national operations, and to exercise operational command of UK forces assigned to multinational operations led by others.
Mission and duties
The PJHQ's mission is as follows:
CJO is to exercise operational command of UK forces assigned to overseas joint and combined operations; and to provide politically aware military advice to the MOD in order to achieve MOD UK’s strategic objectives on operations
There are certain areas that the headquarters was not and will not be involved in:
- Strategic Nuclear Deterrent
- Defence of the UK Home Base, Territorial Waters and Airspace
- Northern Ireland
- Counter-terrorism in UK (Home Office)
- NATO Article V (General War) (NATO Military Command Structure)
The Chief of Joint Operations (CJO) is the appointment held by the 3*-ranked Officer that leads PJHQ. The CJO is responsible for the planning and execution of UK-led joint, potentially joint, combined and multi-national operations.
|April 1996||Lieutenant General||Sir Christopher Wallace|
|February 1999||Vice Admiral||Sir Ian Garnett|
|August 2001||Lieutenant General||Sir John Reith|
|26 July 2004||Air Marshal||Sir Glenn Torpy|
|March 2006||Lieutenant General||Sir Nicholas Houghton|
|13 March 2009||Air Marshal||Sir Stuart Peach|
|December 2011||Lieutenant General||Sir David Capewell|
|January 2015||Lieutenant General||Sir John Lorimer|
|June 2017||Vice Admiral||Timothy Fraser|
|April 2019||Vice Admiral||Ben Key|
- "Final Royal Navy helicopter returns from Oman". Royal Navy. 15 April 2019. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- "Permanent Joint Headquarters". Armed Forces. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "The Permanent Joint Headquarters". gov.uk. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- Modernising Defence: Implementing the Strategic Defence Review 30 March 1999
- Northwood Headquarters