Petersburg, Mahoning County, Ohio
Petersburg is a small unincorporated community in southeastern Springfield Township, Mahoning County, Ohio, United States. It is part of the Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area. The community was founded in the 1790s by German immigrants from Pennsylvania.
Petersburg was platted around 1805 by Peter Musser, and named for him. The post office was originally called Musser's Mill. The Mussers Mills post office was established in 1807, the name was changed to Petersburgh in 1819, and renamed again Petersburg in 1893.
The building that was once used as the Petersburg Inn burned to the ground c. 1961and was believed to have been built c. 1800. A few other significant historical buildings in the community were St. John's Lutheran Church and the Petersburg Presbyterian Church that were founded by early settlers of that area including the following families: Wallace, Musser, Smith and Kneasel.
- Butler, Joseph Green (1921). History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley, Ohio. American Historical Society. p. 595.
- Sanderson, Thomas W. (1907). Twentieth Century History of Youngstown and Mahoning County. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 228.
- "Mahoning County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 18 January 2016.