Phi Beta Delta (honor society)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Phi Beta Delta Society|
|Founded||February 27, 1986|
Long Beach, California
|Motto||World's Shared Knowledge|
Scientia Mutua Mundi
|Headquarters||Administration Building, Rooms 148 & 150 California State University, San Bernardino, 5500 University Parkway|
San Bernardino, CA
The Phi Beta Delta Society (ΦΒΔ) is an international honor society that was founded at California State University, Long Beach on February 27, 1986. It was the first honor society dedicated to recognize scholarly achievement in international involvement and education, to give scholarships to deserving students and to enhance knowledge about various cultures around the world. It was established as a national organization in 1987 with 38 chartered chapters, and has grown to become an international organization with over 179 chapters.
The motto of the society is "Scientia Mutua Mundi" (World's Shared Knowledge). Phi Beta Delta (ΦΒΔ) stands for philomatheia, biotremmonia, diapheren — "Love of knowledge, valuing of human life; and achieving excellence".
Membership in the Society is open to individuals who have demonstrated scholarly achievement through international involvement. These individuals include:
- international students (non-immigrant visa holders in the upper division or graduate levels) who have demonstrated high scholastic achievement at their institution;
- domestic students (upper division and graduate level) who have demonstrated high scholastic achievement in the pursuit of academic studies abroad in exchange programs approved by the institution or in participation in comparable international programs or experiences where academic relevance can be demonstrated to the institution;
- distinguished faculty and staff who have been involved in recognized international endeavors (i.e. research, teaching, program development, or service).
Phi Beta Delta Executive Office
Phi Beta Delta Honor Society's headquarters are at California State University, San Bernardino. The contact information for headquarters is: Phi Beta Delta Headquarters, AD 148 & 150, California State University, San Bernardino. 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407. The Executive Director is Dr. Amy Leh.
Headquarters was previously located at 1527 New Hampshire Avenue in the Dupont Circle area of Washington DC. At this address, the offices of Phi Beta Delta and Policy Studies Organization were located. This site was the home of the son of James A. Garfield, the twentieth President of the United States. Dr. Harry Garfield was the President of Williams College from 1908 to 1934 and a member of President Woodrow Wilsons Kitchen cabinet. The house continues to be a center for international focus. It was rented out in 1920 to Carter Glass who became Secretary of the Treasury under Wilson, and then Senator from Virginia, and who is regarded as a founder of the Federal Reserve System. Garfield also rented the house to the Ecuador Embassy and later to the British Embassy's air attache.
The organization has chapters in over 179 campuses worldwide. International chapters are in Bulgaria, Canada, Mexico, Switzerland, and the United States of America.
- The Medallion (the Society newsletter)
- Proceedings (a record of ideas, issues, and topics of interest to the Society)
- International Research and Review (the peer reviewed journal of the Society)
- 52 Weekly Thoughts
Notable and Honorary Members
- Dr. Carole Artigiani, U.S
- Ba Amadou, Ambassador, Embassy of Senagal (Senegal)
- Horace G. Dawson, U.S Ambassador (U.S.)
- Saskia Eijssen, SU / International Student & Scholar Services (The Netherlands)
- Ahmad El Shiref, Central Missouri State University / Peace Studies, (U.S.)
- Leonel Fernández, President Dominican Republic, (Dominican Republic)
- Margarita Cedeño de Fernández, First Lady Dominican Republic, (Dominican Republic)
- Oliver Franklin St. Clair, President International House, (U.S)
- Harriet Mayor Fulbright, former Executive Director of the President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities and President of the J. William and Harriet Fulbright Center.
- J. William Fulbright, U.S Senator and founder of international exchange program, Fulbright Program (U.S.)
- Mahamoud Adam Béchir, Ambassador Embassy of Chad (Chad)
- Colin Powell, Secretary of State under George W. Bush
25th Anniversary Issue of the Medallion 
- Dr. Ann Marie Legreid, 2019-2020
- Mrs. Winnie Brophy, 2018-2019
- Dr. Christina Sanchez, 2017-2018
- Dr. Rajrani Kalra, 2016-2017
- Dr. Astrid Sheil, 2015-2016
- Dr. Guillermo De Los Reyes, 2014-2015
- Dr. Paul Amaya, 2013-2014
- Dr. Joy Stevenson, 2012-2013
- Dr. Richard Deming, 2011-2012
- Dr. Edward K. Khiwa, 2010–2011
- Dr. Judy Smhra, 2009–2010
- Dr. Monica Freeman, 2008–2009
- Dr. Eugene Eggers,2007- 2008
- Dr. Gene Eggar, 2006–2007
- Dr. Michael Smithee, 2005 - 2006
- Dr. India Dennis, 2004 - 2005
- Dr. Paul J. Rich, 2003 - 2004
- Dr. David E. R. Gay, 2002 - 2003
- Dr. James Fletcher, 2001 - 2002
- Dr. Jack Merchant, 2000–2001
- Dr. Art King, 1999 - 2000
- Dr. Barbara Hartung, 1998 - 1999
- Dr. Yvonne Captain, 1997–1998
- Dr. Earl Ellington, 1996–1997
- Dr. Thomas Knutson, 1995 - 1996
- Dr. Paul Parrish, 1994–1995
- Dr. Mark "Gene" Meadows, 1993–1994
- Dr. Karen Boatman, 1992 - 1993
- Dr. Gregory Trzebiatowski, 1991 - 1992
- Dr. Judy Reinhartz, 1990 - 1991
- Dr. Gary Cretser, 1989 - 1990
- Dr. John Greisberger, 1988 - 1989
- Dr. Richard Downie, 1987 - 1988
The Board members are as follows:
|International President||Ann Marie Legreid, Ph.D|
|Past International President||Winnie Brophy|
|International President-Elect||Kelly Mallari, Ph.D.|
|Senior International Vice President||Dana Sistko|
|Regional Vice President, Northeast Region||Vacant|
|Regional Vice President, Midwest Region||Sarah Lindell|
|Regional Vice President, Southwest Region||Sharon Joy, Ph.D.|
|Regional Vice President, Southeast Region||Ann Ludwick, Ph.D.|
|Regional Vice President, West Region||Dipasri Ghosh, Ph.D.|
|Director of Development||David Winograd, Ph.D.|
|Director of Awards||Guillermo de los Reyes, Ph.D.|
|Director of Membership||Shital G Joshi, MS, BPT|
|Director of Publications||Michael Smithee, Ed.D.|
|Executive Director & CEO||Amy Leh, Ph.D.|
- "Phi Beta Delta - Publications". The Phi Beta Delta Society.
- Oswego - Phi Beta Delta
- "Phi Beta Delta (CSUF) - Homepage". Fullerton.edu. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Phi Beta Delta Honor Society - About Phi Beta Delta". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
-  Archived March 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Phi Beta Delta – The medallion". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Phi Beta Delta-Proceedings". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Phi Beta Delta-International Research and Review". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Phi Beta Delta-52 weekly thoughts". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Phi Beta Delta- 25th anniversary issue of the Medallion" (PDF). Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Phi Beta Delta Honor Society-Know the Board". Phibetadelta.org. Retrieved July 29, 2019.