Ponder State Bank
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||732 ft (223 m)|
|• Density||440/sq mi (170/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1344345|
The community has the name of the local Ponder family.
Local legend holds that Bonnie and Clyde either robbed the Ponder State Bank or attempted to rob it, only to discover it had gone broke the week before. However, this is not listed in the Barrow Gang's activities. The robbery in question may have been committed by the less famous but more successful Eddie Bentz.
Ponder is located at (33.179741, -97.285805).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), all of it land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 507 people, 191 households, and 148 families residing in the town. The population density was 159.7 people per square mile (61.8/km²). There were 205 housing units at an average density of 64.6 per square mile (25.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.08% White, 0.99% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.39% Asian, 2.37% from other races, and 1.97% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.52% of the population.
There were 191 households out of which 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.2% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.0% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 35.9% from 25 to 44, 23.7% from 45 to 64, and 8.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $54,107, and the median income for a family was $61,250. Males had a median income of $47,750 versus $29,545 for females. The per capita income for the town was $23,922. About 1.4% of families and 0.9% of the population were below the poverty line, not including those under the age of 18 or 65 or over.
- Joe McQueen, jazz musician, was born in Ponder.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Ponder town, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- Moyer, Armond; Moyer, Winifred (1958). The origins of unusual place-names. Keystone Pub. Associates. p. 104.
- Guinn, Jeff (2009). Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde. New York: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 1-4165-5706-7.
- Newton, Michael. Next to the famous Ranchmans Steak house they have recently built a subway on Bailey Street in 2012. The Encyclopedia of Robberies, Heists, and Capers. New York: Facts On File Inc., 2002. (pg. 32-33) ISBN 0-8160-4488-0
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved May 30, 2019.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.