|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||970/1000 ♂/♀|
Ponneri is a city located at North Chennai in Thiruvallur district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located in Ponneri taluk. The neighbourhood is served by the Ponneri railway station of the Chennai Suburban Railway Network. Ponneri is selected among 100 cities for Smart city Development.As per the locals Subhash Chandra Bose stayed in Ponneri.It is one of the Fastest-growing suburbs of Chennai Metropolitan City.
Modi government proposed Smart City Project in Ponneri. The proposed city is expected to have a population of four Lakhs and a working population of 88.8 lakhs by FY 2033-34, as per the master plan document. Later period, the project was declined It would be developed in three phases. It would be developed in three phases. The first phase will involve 4,448 acres of land available with government agencies while the second phase would involve 2,718 acres of existing port area. The third phase will involve 5,667 acres of land with existing development around coastal regulation zone. Of the total planned area, 9,133 acres of land are yet to be acquired ponneri is major destination for Andhra Pradesh people to buy goods
Ponneri is located at  It has an average elevation of 16 metres (52 feet)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Ponneri had a population of 24,205. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50% and with Minjur population, with postal code 601204, considered it could be of 50,000 as ponneri state offices governs most of state implementations on all blocks under ponneri taluk. Neighbouring towns are Minjur, Redhills, Gummidipoondi and Athipattu with development underway on NCTPS power plant project. Ponneri is on the banks of arani river. Ponneri is located 33 km north of Chennai and 52 km Northwest of Thiruvallur. Ponneri has an average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Approximately 81% of males and 66% of females are literate. About 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Sri Balasubramaniaswamy Temple, Andarkuppam
- Sri Balasubramaniaswamy Temple, Perambedu
- Sri Kari Krishna Perumal Koil, Ponneri
- Agatheeswarar temple , Ponneri
- St.James Church, Venbakkam,Ponneri
- Nootreteshwarar Temple, Chinnakavanam
- Vallalar Chinnamaiyar Illam, Chinnakavanam
- Sri Ranganatha Perumal Devasthanam Ponneri
List of Companies & Industries
- Elango Genetics Pvt Ltd
- Ponneri Boys Govt. Hr. Sec School
- Sridevi Arts and Science College
- Jaigopal Garodia Govt. Girls School
- Pattupalli Govt Primary School, Pattupalli (பட்டுப்பள்ளி)
- Bharath Matric Hr. Sec School
- St. John's matriculation school
- Velammal matric.Hr.Sec.school
- Best Primary School
- Velammal International Residential School
- TVIS Bodhi Campus
- Velammal Weeklong Boarding
- Velammal Cricket Academy
- St. James Matriculation Hr.sec School,Venbakkam ,Ponneri - 601204
- L.E.F Eden Matric Hr. Sec School
- Adarsh Matric Hr. Sec School
- Velammal Institute of Technology
- Unity matriculation school
- Modern matriculation school
- LNG College of Arts & Science
- SRI Devi College of Arts & Science
- Bharathy Nursery and Primary School
- Vidhya Mandhir Matric.Hr.Sec.School
- Gojan School of Business and Technology, Redhills
- R.B. Gothi jain college for women
- Dr.V. Genguswamy Naidu Matriculation School, Ponneri.
- Vishwa Nursery and Primary School, Ponneri
- Tamil Nadu open university, Ponneri
- Anna Adarsh Teacher training Institute, Ponneri
- Fisheries college and research institute, Ponneri
- Kumaran polytechnic college,Near ponneri
|Normal buses||Express + Normal buses||Deluxe + Express + Normal buses||AC volvo + Deluxe + Express + Normal buses|
Legend: HF- High Frequency Route, NS - Night Service Route, LF - Low Frequency Route
|536||Pattabiram||Ponneri||Avadi, Ambattur OT, Puzhal, Red Hills, Karanodai, Thachur Koot Road, Andarkuppam, Krishnapuram||x|
|558||Ponneri||V Nagar||Andarkuppam, Panjetti, Karanodai, Red Hills, Kavangarai, Moolakadai, Vyasarpadi||x|
|558B||Red Hills||Pazhaverkadu||Padianallur, Karanodai, Ponneri, Kanchivoyal, Thirupalaivanam, Perliyambakkam, Pulicut||x|
|558C||Ponneri||Koyambedu||Thirumangalam, Lucas, Kolathur, Kavangarai, Red Hills, Karanodai, Thatchur Road Jn||x|
|558D||Red Hills||Avurivakkam||Kattur Road Jn, Medhur, Ponneri, Thatchur Road Jn, Sholavaram, Padiyanallur||x|
|558M||Red Hills||Minjur||Padianallur, Sholavaram, Thatchur Road Jn, Andarkuppam, Ponneri, Pulikulam, Nallur||x|
|558P||Red Hills||Perumbedukuppam||Padianallur, Karanodai, Thatchur Road Jn, Ponneri, Chinnakuvanam, Perumbedu||x|
|562B||Poonamallee||Ponneri||Karayancahvadi, Avadi, Ambathur OT, Padianallur, Sholavaram, Thatchur Road Jn||x|
|595A||Thiruvotriyur||Pazhaverkadu||Sathyamoorthy Nagar, Minjur, Ponneri, Kadapakkam, Thathanmanji, Perliyambakkam, Pulicut||x|
|T43||ponneri||Gummidipoondi, Pallipalayam||thatchur, rettambedu, Pattupalli(பட்டுப்பள்ளி சந்திப்புச்சாலை), Seganyam, devambattu|
|90A||Ponneri||Annamalaicherry]]||Redhills, thatchur, rettambedu, Pattupalli(பட்டுப்பள்ளி சந்திப்புச்சாலை), Seganyam, devambattu||Express|
Outer Ring Road
A 62.3 Km long road connecting NH 32 / GST road at Vandalur, NH 48 (GWT Road) at Nazarethpettai ,NH 716 (CTH Road) at Nemilichery to NH 16 (GNT Road) at Nallur and to TPP road at Minjur. It is developed in 2 Phases by CMA. Phase 1 (29.5 Km) was open to public in 29 August 2014. Expected completion of 2nd Phase (33.1 Km) is Dec 2018. Ongoing outer ring road (Expected completion by Dec 2018) is passing at a distance of 9 Km (from Ponneri ) near Minjur.
A 162 Km long (5 sections, 100 m wide, 6 lane carriage way and 2 service lanes) connects Pooncheri with Kattupalli in Tiruvallur district. Estimated cost of ₹12,500 crore with INR 3216 Cr funding from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). Phase 1: A 25-km stretch from Kattupalli Port to Thachur with a 3-km link road to the Chennai Outer Ring Road at Neithavoyal is expected to begin in year 2020.
- "JICA Report on CBIC" (PDF).
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Ponneri
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- Shivakumar, C (4 September 2018). "Outer ring road project nearing end, yet legal blocks persist". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Chennai Peripheral Ring road".
- "EIA report for Proposed Chennai Peripheral Road" (PDF).
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 May 2006. Retrieved 8 October 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Kumar, Perambur (18 July 2017). "Ponneri Smart City". IndiaProperty365.com. Perambur Kumar. Retrieved 26 November 2018.