Did you know...
- ...that the first successful partial face transplant was completed in France in 2005?
- ...that even with the crash of Air France Flight 4590, the only fatal crash involving the Concorde, it along with fears caused by 9/11 and a decision made by Airbus shut down the whole Concorde system?
- ...that during the 2009 flu pandemic, in the United States, Texas became the first state to both have both a non-US citizen death and US citizen death?
- ...that when AOL merged with Time Warner, the deal was valued at about $350 billion, which was the largest merger in U.S. business history?
- ...that the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 (pictured) in Belle Harbor, Queens, raised fears of a second terrorist attack, mainly because it took place two months and one day after the September 11 attacks, and also because of the location of the crash site?
|George Walker Bush (born July 6, 1946) is an American politician who served as the 43rd President of the United States from 2001 to 2009 and 46th Governor of Texas from 1995 to 2000. He is the eldest son of Barbara and George H. W. Bush. Bush married Laura Welch in 1977 and ran unsuccessfully for the House of Representatives shortly thereafter. Bush was elected president in 2000 after a close and controversial election against Al Gore, becoming the fourth president to be elected while receiving fewer popular votes nationwide than an opponent. Eight months into Bush's first term as president, the September 11 terrorist attacks occurred. Bush responded with what became known as the Bush Doctrine: launching a "War on Terror", an international military campaign which included the war in Afghanistan, in 2001, and the Iraq War, in 2003. Bush successfully ran for re-election against Democratic Senator John Kerry in 2004, in another relatively close election. Nationally, Bush was both one of the most popular and unpopular presidents in history, having received the highest recorded presidential approval ratings in the wake of the September 11 attacks, as well as one of the lowest approval ratings during the 2008 financial crisis. His presidency has been ranked among the worst in historians' polls published in the late 2000s and 2010s.
In this month
||You are invited to participate in WikiProject Years, a WikiProject dedicated to developing and improving articles about years, decades, centuries, and millennia.|
Things you can do
- In a nutshell: Complete this portal!
- Finish Selected article section.
- Finish Selected picture section.
- Start Selected biography section.
- Update Subcategories section.
- Start In this month section.
- Finish DYK (Did you know) section.
- Start Selected Quote section.