Erie (; EER-ee) is a city on the south shore of Lake Erie and the county seat of Erie County, Pennsylvania, United States. Named for the lake and the Native American Erie people who lived in the area until the mid-17th century, Erie is the fourth-largest city in Pennsylvania, as well as the largest city in Northwestern Pennsylvania, with a population of 101,786 at the 2010 census. The estimated population in 2017 had decreased to 97,369. The Erie metropolitan area, equivalent to all of Erie County, consists of 276,207 residents. The Erie-Meadville, PA Combined Statistical Area has a population of 369,331, as of the 2010 Census.
Erie is halfway between the cities of Buffalo, New York, and Cleveland, Ohio, and due north of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Erie's manufacturing sector remains prominent in the local economy, though health care, higher education, technology, service industries and tourism are emerging as significant economic drivers. Over four million people visit Erie during summer months for recreation at Presque Isle State Park, as well as attractions such as Waldameer Park.
Let Erie have her way, and all passengers and freight must change cars before her pie-shops.
Louis W. Bierbauer (September 28, 1865 - January 31, 1926) of Erie, Pennsylvania, was considered a top-notch second baseman in Major League Baseball during the late 1880s and 1890s.
He was a rising star for the Philadelphia Athletics of the American Association before joining many other major leaguers in jumping to the outlaw Players' League for the 1890 season, a league which folded after just the one year of play.
During the off-season settlement, the arbitrators awarded Bierbauer to Pittsburgh of the National League instead of sending him back to Philadelphia, on the grounds that the A's had not reserved him. This produced a schism between the leagues as well as the lasting nickname of the Pittsburgh club: the "Pirates".
Related portals and projects
Did You Know...
- Nov 5, 2016 — Scott Enterprises could break ground on Harbor Place development by spring 
- Nov 2, 2016 — BayHawks' Brown focused on success in Erie 
- Oct 31, 2016 — BayHawks select former Lakers swingman Brown 1st overall 
- Oct 28, 2016 — What It Takes to Settle Refugees 
- Sep 28, 2016 — Life in the Air 
- Sep 25, 2016 — Old City, Old Buildings, New Life 
- Sep 11, 2016 — Erie's Unlikely Benefactor: Its Casino 
- Sep 5, 2016 — A Waterfront Library 
- Aug 26, 2016 — 'America Is a Dream Country' 
- Aug 25, 2016 — Erie and America 
Web Resources and Topics