The Military of Australia Portal
The military history of Australia spans the nation's 230-year modern history, from the early Australian frontier wars between Aboriginals and Europeans to the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan in the early 21st century. Although this history is short when compared to that of many other nations, Australia has been involved in numerous conflicts and wars, and war and military service have been significant influences on Australian society and national identity, including the Anzac spirit. The relationship between war and Australian society has also been shaped by the enduring themes of Australian strategic culture and its unique security dilemma.
As British offshoots, the Australian colonies participated in Britain's small wars of the 19th century, while later as a federated dominion, and then an independent nation, Australia fought in the First World War and Second World War, as well as in the wars in Korea, Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam during the Cold War. In the Post-Vietnam era Australian forces have been involved in numerous international peacekeeping missions, through the United Nations and other agencies, including in the Sinai, Persian Gulf, Rwanda, Somalia, East Timor and the Solomon Islands, as well as many overseas humanitarian relief operations, while more recently they have also fought as part of multi-lateral forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. In total, nearly 103,000 Australians died during the course of these conflicts. Read more...
"the Australian divisions and the New Zealanders had become what they were to remain for the rest of the war - the spearhead of the British Army"
- — John Terraine, commenting on the fighting capability of the Anzac troops.
Did you know
- ...that the 2/12th Field Ambulance suffered the highest rate of casualties for a non-combatant unit in Australian history?
- ...that the Office of Australian War Graves is also responsible for the maintenance of some 20,000 graves of Commonwealth war dead in 76 war cemeteries and plots and in numerous civil cemeteries, as well as Memorials to the Missing listing over 3,000 names?
Army • History
Armoured Units, Army Aviation, Corps, First Australian Imperial Force, Second Australian Imperial Force, Brigades, Cadets, Royal Military College, Enlisted Ranks, Memorial, Officer Ranks, RAR, Regiments, Senior Officers, Regional Surveillance Units, Structure, VC Recipients, Weapons
RAN • History
Admiral of the Fleet, Bases, Cadets, Clearance Divers, Current Ships, Fleet Air Arm, Future, Historic ships, HMAS, Memorial, Patrol Boat Group, Persian Gulf Operations, RANVR, Reserve, Ship classes, Silent Service, WRANS
RAAF • History
Aircraft, Airfield Defence Guards, Bases, Chief of Air Force, Flights, First Tactical Air Force, Ranks, Roulettes, Squadrons, Structure
1st Commando Regiment, 2nd Commando Regiment, 171st Squadron, 200 Flight, Coastwatchers, Special Operations Engineer Regiment, SASR, SOCOMD, Tactical Assault Group, WWII Commando companies, Z Special Unit
Featured, A-Class and Good content
Things you can do
- Attention needed
- ...to referencing and citation • ...to coverage and accuracy • ...to structure • ...to grammar • ...to supporting materials
- Popular pages
- Full list
- Cleanup needed
- 2nd Division (New Zealand) • Court martial of Breaker Morant • History of the Royal Australian Navy • Military history of New Zealand • Military history of New Zealand in World War I • Military history of New Zealand during World War II • New Zealand Army • New Zealand in the Vietnam War • Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment • Slouch hat • Uniforms of the New Zealand Army
- Requested articles
- Auckland Regiment • Canterbury Regiment (currently a redirect) • 1st Field Regiment, Royal New Zealand Artillery • 2nd Field Regiment, Royal New Zealand Artillery • 4th Submarine Squadron (United Kingdom) • 4th Medium Regiment, Royal New Zealand Artillery • 6th Light Anti-aircraft Regiment, Royal New Zealand Artillery • 12th Heavy Anti-aircraft Regiment, Royal New Zealand Artillery • South Australian Imperial Bushmen • Tasmanian Citizen Bushmen • Tasmanian Mounted Infantry • Tasmanian Imperial Bushmen (currently redirect) • Victorian Citizen Bushmen • Victorian Imperial Bushmen • Western Australian Mounted Infantry (currently redirect) • Western Australian Citizen Bushmen • 22nd Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, 2nd/4th Battalion, Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment • 3rd/6th Battalion, Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment • No. 83 (Army Cooperation) Wing • No. 52 Squadron RNZAF • No. 51 Squadron RNZAF • No. 43 Squadron RNZAF • No. 12 Squadron RNZAF • No. 11 Squadron RNZAF • No. 10 Squadron RNZAF • CAC/North American Avon Sabre in Australian service • GAF/Dassault Mirage III in Australian service • Harry Charles Bundock • Frederick Alexander Burrows • Grant Cavenagh • Frederick Hay Christison • John August Clareborough • Jack Kerr Coffey • Bertrand Combes • John Craven • Ralph Daly • Charles Stewart Davies • Harold Charles de Low • Francis Plumly Derham • William Huggett Douglas • Herbert Frederick Henry Durant • Leslie Glanville Howard Dyke • Henry Herrick Edwards • Cyril Maurice Lloyd Elliott • Albert Cecil Fewtrell • Frederick Percy Herbert Fewtrell • Alexander Moore Forbes • Stephen Gilbert Friend • Vivian Harrold Gatliff • Arthur Harry Langman Godfrey • Leonard George Goss • Peter Haddad • William Allan Hailes • Neville Gordon Hatton • Health Services Wing RAAF • William Alexander Henderson • John Hill • Frederick Brock Hinton • Oswald Vick Hoad • Austin Claude Selwyn Holland • Maurice Barber Bevan Keating • Douglas Oswald Luke Kitto • Errol Knox • Ian Lillie • Thomas Steane Louch • John Walter Main • Gordon Edward Manchester • James Eric Gifford Martin • Athelsan Markham Martyn • John Maxwell • Patrick Sanfield McGrath • Eric George Henderson McKenzie • Kenneth Alan McKenzie • Douglas Murray McWhae • Charles George N. Miles • Arthur James Mills • Raymond Frederic Monaghan • Gerald Vincent Moriarty • New Zealand Infantry Brigade (currently a redirect) • Edward Michael Neylan • Reginald Havill Norman • Francis Roger North • Harry Scott Nurse • David O'Brien • Douglas Paine • William Edward Hill Pascoe • Michael Phelps • Claude Esdaile Prior • Ralph Carlyle Geoffrey Prisk • Beauchamp Worters Pulver • John Herbert Rasmussen • John Dalylell Richardson • John David Rogers • Henry Gordon Rourke • Robert Amos Row • Harry Blamyre Sewell • Colin McOlvin Sharp • Edward Lonergan Sheehan • James Thomas Simpson • Fritz Peter Max Solling • William Howard St. Clair • Robert Mackay Stodart • Roy Buchanan Sutherland • Harold Bourue Taylor • Percy Chamberlin Thompson • Roy Meldrum Thompson • Walter James Urquhart • Donald Norwood Veron • Eric Lacy Vowles • Roy William Whiston Walsh • Augustine William Wardell • Thomas Edgar Weavers • David Welch • Frank Elwyn Wells • Allan Respen Wendt • John Laurence Whitham • Ernst Morgan Williams • Kenneth Williams • Thomas Rhys Williams • Kenneth Agnew Wills • Robert Emmet Winning • Roy Gordon • South Pacific Peacekeeping Force • 9th Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery • 2/1st Anti-Tank Regiment (Australia) • 2/3rd Anti-Tank Regiment (Australia) • 2/4th Anti-Tank Regiment (Australia) • Queensland Mounted Infantry
- Expansion needed
- 2nd Infantry Brigade (New Zealand) • Australian Army Veterinary Corps • Military history of Australia during the Malayan Emergency • 32nd Small Ship Squadron, Royal Australian Engineers • 1st Aviation Regiment (Australia) • 1st Combat Engineer Regiment (Australia) • II Anzac Corps • Alfred Richard Baxter-Cox • Australian military involvement in peacekeeping • Emile Dechaineux • Harold Farncomb • History of the Australian Army • History of the Royal Australian Air Force • John Baker • John Royston • Landing at Aitape • Lark Force • New Guinea campaign • Northern Territory Force • Robert William Rankin • Corps of Royal New Zealand Engineers • HMNZS Resolution (A-14) • Military history of New Zealand in Malaysia • New Zealand and Australian Division • New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade • New Zealand Rifle Brigade • Survey Motor Boat • List of Royal Australian Air Force aircraft squadrons • List of Australian generals and brigadiers • List of Australian armoured units • Australian Army Artillery Units, World War I • Air Lift Group • Surveillance and Response Group • Combat Support Group RAAF • Aerospace Operational Support Group RAAF • 41 Wing • No. 26 Squadron RAAF • No. 29 Squadron RAAF • Air Movements Training and Development Unit RAAF• Surveillance and Control Training Unit RAAF • No. 386 Expeditionary Combat Support Squadron RAAF • No. 322 Combat Support Squadron RAAF • No. 323 Combat Support Squadron RAAF • No. 324 Combat Support Squadron RAAF• No. 1 Combat Logistics Squadron RAAF • No. 1 Air Terminal Squadron RAAF • No. 3 Airfield Defence Squadron RAAF • New South Wales Mounted Rifles Combat Reserve Wing RAAF • John William Alexander O'Brien • Harold Pope (soldier) • William James Macavoy Locke • Otago Infantry Regiment (NZEF) • more...
- Images needed
- 7th Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery • Australian Army Veterinary Corps • Military history of Australia during the Malayan Emergency • 32nd Small Ship Squadron, Royal Australian Engineers
- Merging needed
- Add an article here!
- Citations needed
- Australian and New Zealand Army Corps • Australian New Guinea Administrative Unit • Australian occupation of German New Guinea • Bombing of Rabaul (November 1943) • FCU UNTAC • Henry Arthur Goddard • Military history of Oceania • New Zealand Army • Operation I-Go
- Translation needed
- Add an article here!